well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tomahawk Steak

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomahawk Steak
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
This is a "Tomahawk Steak". I've seen pictures of them on the internet but have never seen one in person. They seem to be very popular in Texas.

The local grocery store ran them at half price ($9.99/lb) for the holiday. Not an inexpensive steak even at that but something I have always wanted to try. This particular one is not quite 3 pounds. I'm going to reverse sear it with salt and pepper, with the final sear outdoors on cast iron.

Yummy

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
How was it?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon is not going to be home until late tonight so now I’ll make it tomorrow. Maybe for lunch.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Looks great. No different than any other ribeye though, other than the novelty of the big bone, so be careful you don't pay extra for the novelty.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have not tried one either. Largely because I don’t need a 3 lb steak.

We decided on going out tonight. Awesome hickory roasted prime rib at The Golden Lamb.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Largely because I don’t need a 3 lb steak.

Need has nothing to do with it. Besides, at 3# it’s more of a roast. Cool

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Very true.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
How was it?

Excellent! And large/rich enough that we're going to get some three meals out of it. We liked it so much we went back to the store and bought a couple ore of the for the big BBQ blowout on July 4. Grandkid coming!

Here it is on the grill pan with the requisite amount of butter. I did it on the grill because it keeps the kitchen cleaner:

I used the finished temp recommended by the Food Lab for medium-rare but I think it came out just a little under. I'll go 135 -138 degrees next time:

Best part for crowd cooking is that total time on the grill is less than 5 minutes. The actual cooking is done in the oven and will hold until we are ready to eat. ThumbsUp