well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Who made it?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who made it?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We’re not moving a lot of of furniture out if CA because of cost, and are instead looking to buy interesting stuff offered locally. This set is super cool and we are considering it.

https://cleveland.craigslist.o...irca/7378124806.html

I like the fact the pieces aren't symmetrical and I’ve never seen pulls like these. Price is about the same as a suite of flat pack Chinese stuff.

Manufacturer is listed as being in Edison, NJ. Anyone know who the manufacturer might have been?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34974 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Intriguing since the drawers look like they are on bearings, and otherwise good construction. I am not far from Edison, but really don’t know the manufacturing history of the place.

Drawers may have identifying marks inside.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I think the drawer slide arrangement is unusual for the time. File cabinet slides on residential casework seem to be a fairly recent innovation. Perhaps it’s been retrofit. We’re not talking fine antiques here so maybe it doesn’t matter.

It’s the casework I like.

Posts: 34974 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Looks good and appears to be well made.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Similar style. Don't know manufacturer.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Similar style. Don't know manufacturer.

That's it! How did you find it?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple of different searches but the one that unearthed that pic was "mcm dresser sliding door".

It's not exactly the same but the construction looks damn similar, especially the base and the legs.

The one you're looking at has diamonds on the right rather than the hexagons. And the carving around the drawer handles is oval on yours, and diamond shape on the one I found.

However.....

la-4585513245482005_c__1033451976&utm_custom2=319339186" target="_blank">https://www.etsy.com/listing/1...tm_custom2=319339186

Drawer glides appear to be original. And they don't know who made theirs, either.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here's another set at the same store. This one is Lane. I might like it better and it's in better shape:

https://cleveland.craigslist.o...-set/7387628287.html

Now we have to convince the seller that we aren't scammers.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Lane is very nice. The lines are beautiful. Also love the roll top night stands and the light in the chest of drawers.

But I also love that the other one is on legs. Also some of the other elements like the asymmetry.

Can't go wrong with either one.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Both are in the same shop in Cleveland Heights. I could spend a lot of money in this place.

www.artisanantiquescleveland.com

The shop owner sounds like an interesting character as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Lawless

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Need any appliances? Available at a Habitat ReStore near me:

https://chicago.craigslist.org...odel/7380274945.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That stove would be well over $1000 at a shop out here.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Need a nice little MCM boudoir chair to go with that MCM bedroom set?

Pic makes it look pretty pink....IRL it's kind of a rose beige....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I like the MCM set but it needs some refinishing which could be a little dicey with veneers. The Lane set appears in better shape.

I really like the Broyhill Brasilia line but it's pricey when yo can find it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Took a look around - liked this TV stand.

https://www.facebook.com/marke...92-9a46-5250ebf76769

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post