well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Apple Watch or medical alert device for Mom?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Watch or medical alert device for Mom?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ax, that's super helpful!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I have both an Apple Watch and a fall detector (Philips lifeline) both courtesy of a son. Since I have AFIB and my balance is imperfect ever since my spinal op, both sons felt I needed both.

With the Apple Watch, I have not only the AFIB function but also a few health apps that help me monitor my heart rate throughout the day including (most helpful) while I sleep.

I've found the Lifeline to be rather a nuisance as I was on my fifth pendant (the others failed one by one - the police were called twice by accident Red Face). The responders were mostly also the ubiquitous heavy accented overseas hirees and it was sometimes hard to communicate.

Note my son had researched companies and thought this was the best (he chose the plan that identified my location everywhere in the US).

Lifeline just came out with a new design that's larger and rather clunky but doesn't require the base unit (if you have looked into them, you'll know what I'm referring to). It's a 4 or 5 G system (forget) but an upgrade from the previous one.

The new unit is too darn big, and also way too sensitive. I end up removing it frequently because of the nuisance factor that it goes off at the faintest pressure. You can supposedly cancel a false alarm by pressing the button right after it, but they call anyhow which is a pain if you just want to get on with your day (or sleep at night).

I've been wearing it mostly to please my sons who are reassured by my having it (and because they were caring enough to subscribe for me).

AS for the Apple Watch, mine seems to be failing (had LOTs of trouble using their "Cardiogram" App) in that the AFIB detection has become unreliable besides which it's gotten to fail to register my BPM when I'm at the gym, for at least the first quarter hour. Very hard to figure out what's at fault - the watch's built in software of the apps.

It DOES seem to register falls at least as well as the Lifeline (I had a few hard falls it didn't register at all - not the new model, note), although it also goes off when I plump my pillows!

Don't know what it would do if I didn't respond that
"Yes, I fell, but I'm OK" or "I didn't fall". I see there are options to enter your location into your watch's record keeping.

I keep meaning to research a different fall detector device to spare my son the subscription expense of this system, but I just haven't had time. (BTW I mostly wear it under my tops, rather than have it jangling around). I'm afraid the Apple Watch needs to be replaced because of the problems its developed though I WOULD like to be sure it's the watch and not the apps at fault.

I will comment that Apple Help Line is VERY responsive in calling you if you contact them indicating a problem with a safety feature like the AFIB reading (probably also fall detection).
It's a pleasant surprise (shock, really) to have a live human call you within a minute if you contact them about such an issue - an educated native speaker too!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Amanda, thanks for these comments. I hope you're able to figure what the problems are. How old is your Apple Watch?

Yes, I read some not so great reviews about Lifeline and LifeAlert and had ruled both off my list.

All the ones that require a base station mean they only work inside the home, and that's definitely not what we want.

quote:
I keep meaning to research a different fall detector device to spare my son the subscription expense of this system, but I just haven't had time.

The Apple Watch cell subscription is only $10/month if there's an existing phone plan to attach it to. I'll be putting it on my plan.

Other services tend to be more like $30/month and up.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post