well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Year of the Dragon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Year of the Dragon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Dragon’s beard candy is a staple of Chinese and Lunar New Year celebrations, but in the U.S. and Canada, a generation of candymakers are determining the best way to pass the difficult art to a new generation

Even as a kid with severely limited patience, I knew the dragon’s beard candy from Jimmy Pan’s cart was worth the wait. Every weekend for nearly three decades, Pan judiciously filled orders of the white, fluffy candy from his stall in Toronto’s chaotic, cacophonous Pacific Mall. The candy’s stretched sugar strands, wrapped around a crunchy core of peanuts, coconut, and sesame seeds, create a series of textural sensations on the tongue: Some strands dissolve into a soft mass while others shatter into feuilletine flakes, before the whole thing morphs into a chewy, crunchy, jumble of nougat. Pan’s shop filled PacMall’s grid-like corridors with long lines of locals and out-of-towners, who made the pilgrimage from New York, Milwaukee, Detroit, and as far as Los Angeles. Somewhere in there, I was holding hands with my mom, inching closer to my prize.

Looks delicious!

https://www.eater.com/24054505...r-new-year-tradition

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like referring to that as "Chinese cotton candy" is way off the mark.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Fascinating! I’ve never heard of this before. I’d love to try it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
One of my great-grandfathers had a 25 year vesting from Lance's candy and snack factory in Charlotte. I didn't get a chance to talk to the old man much. I asked what he had done. I was told he had made candy canes.

He and his son had a small country grocery store for years after he retired. I remember my parents buying cigarettes there every summer because N.C. had no cigarette taxes. My extended family rented houses on the ocean in Long Beach.

My great-grandparents got the one bedroom with air-condioning. My great-grandfather never seemed to leave it.

I agree with wtg.

The real version looks delicious.

But, I can think of many dragon motif objects I'd enjoy more than than melted Starburst candy, TBH.

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I have had it may be 3 or 4 times in my life so far, and everytime I witnessed it made fresh from a “puck”. Indeed it‘s hard to find. It certainly looks very labor-intensive and I do not know why no one has figured out a way to mass-produce this in some sort of automated fashion. Shrug

There are “how to” videos on YouTube for this if you ever feel like attempting to make it at home, e.g.:

https://youtu.be/xCIPoPG3gb4

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That mall in Toronto sounds like a ton of fun. I wonder if someone else there is making dragon's beard candy for the upcoming holiday...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I have had it may be 3 or 4 times in my life so far, and everytime I witnessed it made fresh from a “puck”. Indeed it‘s hard to find. It certainly looks very labor-intensive and I do not know why no one has figured out a way to mass-produce this in some sort of automated fashion. Shrug

There are “how to” videos on YouTube for this if you ever feel like attempting to make it at home, e.g.:

https://youtu.be/xCIPoPG3gb4

I have the feeling it’s like dim sum: I want to eat it, but I don’t want to make it! I’ve never folded dumplings, either.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year!

Bazootiehead-in-training