well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile, in Buffalo

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile, in Buffalo
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Rep. Chris Jacobs, an Orchard Park Republican, said Friday that he was withdrawing as the GOP and Conservative candidate for Congress in the newly redrawn 23rd District, acknowledging that his newfound views on gun control place him at odds with the parties that endorsed him.

"This obviously arises out of last Friday, my remarks, statements on being receptive to gun controls," Jacobs said in an interview. "And since that time, every Republican elected (official) that had endorsed me withdrew their endorsement. Party officials that supported me withdrew, most of them, and those that were going to said they would not. And so obviously, this was not well received by the Republican base."

quote:
For his part, Jacobs said he plans to remain active on gun control issues during his remaining time in Congress and then after he leaves office.

In addition to backing an assault weapons ban, he said he plans to vote for Democrat-backed gun control legislation next week. That bill would raise the minimum age for buying semiautomatic weapons from 18 to 21, ban high-capacity magazines and other ways to increase the capacity of assault rifles, force gun owners to safely store their weapons and allow local governments to set up gun buyback programs.

Jacobs also said he is working with Rep. Grace Meng, a Queens Democrat, and Rep. Brian Higgins, a Buffalo Democrat, on legislation banning civilians from purchasing body armor. The man accused of murdering 10 people in Buffalo came dressed in body armor.

https://buffalonews.com/news/l...49-67a1b9ef2279.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post