Notify
Tools

Jan 6
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Committee intends to reveal previously secret White House records, photos and videos to prove how Trump broke the law

The House select committee investigating the Capitol attack will unveil new evidence at Watergate-style public hearings this week showing Donald Trump and top aides acted with corrupt intent to stop Joe Biden’s certification, according to sources close to the inquiry.

The panel intends to use the hearings as its principal method of revealing potential crimes by Trump as he sought to overturn the 2020 election results, the sources said, in what could be a treacherous legal and political moment for the former president.

https://www.theguardian.com/us...anel-public-hearings

Planning to watch?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I watched the whole hearing. Things that stood out:

1. The testimony and words of the people inside the administration. Barr. Milley. Meadows. Ivanka. Everyone told Trump that there was "no there there" as far as the election being stolen.

2. The fact that Trump never called the Defense Department, the acting Attorney General, or the Department of Homeland Security on Jan 6. Pence did, and told them what was happening and that they needed help. That weasel Meadows was worried about the "narrative" that Pence was calling the shots and Trump wasn't.

3. Capitol Police officer Caroline Edwards. What an amazing woman. Her description of being in hand to hand combat for hours was riveting and terrifying.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
My next door neighbor is also a Capitol police officer. He was sitting right behind her during her testimony.
Get the popcorn. The next few weeks will be interesting, to say the least.

Posts: 192 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
3. Capitol Police officer Caroline Edwards. What an amazing woman. Her description of being in hand to hand combat for hours was riveting and terrifying.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/09...ecalls-chaos-carnage

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Was expecting more from the lie machine today. Were they too busy watching Fox or am I looking in the wrong places?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
How Fox and Newsmax spun it.

Could only read part of it.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Liz Cheney clearly has zero f's to give....

Pretty impressive stand for doing the right thing.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

The Margaret Chase Smith of our time? Or too soon to tell?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Was expecting more from the lie machine today. Were they too busy watching Fox or am I looking in the wrong places?

Great overview:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AAYkaaS?li=BBnb7Kz

A lonely voice of reason from the GOP.

quote:
Bill Palatucci, a Republican National Committee member from New Jersey, said he tuned into the hearing Thursday and watched “with a heavy heart.” He questioned the notion that the hearings aren’t worth peoples’ time.

“This was clearly a seditious insurrection against our representative democracy,” Palatucci said. “Voters can have two different thoughts in their minds. They aren’t happy with how the Democrats have conducted the fight against inflation, and at the same time, they can be completely disturbed and angry at the former president for his conduct.”

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How many watched.

quote:
Roughly 20 million people watched live coverage of the first January 6th House committee hearing on television in primetime Thursday evening, per Nielsen.

Why it matters: More people tuned into the hearing than the first day of former President Trump's first impeachment trial in November 2019 (13 million) and the first day of his second impeachment trial in February 2021 (11 million).

quote:
James Comey's testimony in June 2017 drew 19.5 million viewers. Brett Kavanaugh's hearing in September 2018 drew 20 million.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/11/jan-6-hearings-tv

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

The Margaret Chase Smith of our time? Or too soon to tell?

The cynic in me says it's too soon to tell because the hearings may have zero impact. But I'd be tempted to also compare her to the "have you no sense of decency" lawyer who testified late in the entire thing. I seem to recall that had a lot more effect than MCS, though it could have just been a timing issue where he gave voice to what many people had come around to thinking.

Re: zero impact - I hope I'm wrong. I figure there are three big groups of people. The first group are die-hard Trumper/MAGA people, who aren't paying attention and are sure that anything that conflicts with their world view is fake. The second are the opposite group - convinced that Trump is (best case) an overbearing, narcissistic danger to democracy or (worst case) the biggest threat to the world ever. Their minds are also made up.

The third, most important group are those who are following the hearings with some open mindedness and willing to change their minds. I'm hoping that the second and third groups are enough to make a difference, and they don't get distracted by the GOP talking points about inflation, gas prices, etc.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Kellyanne Conway was on Bill Maher the other night and was constantly deflecting onto gas prices, baby formula...could not stay on the Jan. 6 topic. Like a broken gearshift...

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Open in browser
June 10, 2022
Heather Cox Richardson
Jun 11

Comment
Preliminary reports say that about 20 million people watched last night’s compelling hearing of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. That number, which does not include streaming or later views, is fewer than tune in for a normal State of the Union address, but more than for the World Series.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lonely voice of reason from the GOP.

Her continued refusal to leave the GOP is really irritating. She cannot change that party. She cannot reform it. She cannot "bring these people to their senses."

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It wasn't super clear, but I was actually referring to Bill Palatucci and his observation that people can walk and chew gum at the same time....

quote:
Bill Palatucci, a Republican National Committee member from New Jersey, said he tuned into the hearing Thursday and watched “with a heavy heart.” He questioned the notion that the hearings aren’t worth peoples’ time.

“This was clearly a seditious insurrection against our representative democracy,” Palatucci said. “Voters can have two different thoughts in their minds. They aren’t happy with how the Democrats have conducted the fight against inflation, and at the same time, they can be completely disturbed and angry at the former president for his conduct.”

Bazootiehead-in-training