well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Horn Growth & Smartphone Use

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/3181024366

25 June 2019, 07:46 AM
Axtremus
Horn Growth & Smartphone Use
‘Horns’ are growing on young people’s skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.
https://www.washingtonpost.com...e-research-suggests/

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

25 June 2019, 01:57 PM
Amanda
Sensationalist headline, but I sent it to my sons anyhow. The younger one especially really HAS developed an unsightly case of "screen posture".

Don't know how either of them can be posturally negligent considering the major spinal surgery theyy saw me undergo even if it had nothing to do with use of phones or computer slouch. It was still to correct a deformity and when they start slight there's no telling where they'll go decades down the road (except that they tend to worsen, and even accelerate with age).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

25 June 2019, 04:44 PM
RealPlayer
Wonder if staring down at the piano keyboard during hours of practice does that. Must check myself for horns. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

25 June 2019, 04:50 PM
ShiroKuro
RP I assume you're (at least partly) joking. But I would guess that a piano keyboard isn't as bad as a smartphone, because the keyboard is further away from the body than where a smartphone generally sits. So pianists even those of us with bad playing posture like me probably don't have their heads down at such a dramatic angle as do teenagers who are staring into their phones for hours.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

25 June 2019, 07:29 PM
RealPlayer
SK, and anyway, we shouldn't be looking at the keyboard all the time. Yes, I think the smartphone thing involves a different head angle.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

25 June 2019, 08:23 PM
Axtremus
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
... we shouldn't be looking at the keyboard all the time.
Indeed! I wish my childhood piano teachers taught me that way back when.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

25 June 2019, 08:35 PM
Piano*Dad
Horn growth?

25 June 2019, 11:47 PM
Daniel
I call bs.
26 June 2019, 01:15 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I call bs.

How so?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

26 June 2019, 01:16 AM
Horace
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I call bs.

How so?

With his horn?
26 June 2019, 09:41 AM
jodi
Smartphones aren’t making millennials grow horns here’s how to spot a bad study.

Smiler Jodi

26 June 2019, 09:53 AM
Piano*Dad
Oh, that's really funny. I just had a little piece in Inside Higher Education yesterday that makes the same claim about higher education research, and how it is (mis)reported.

Not All Studies are Created Equal
26 June 2019, 11:22 AM
jodi
P*D - cool.

Smiler Jodi