well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "I can't draw"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I can't draw"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This describes me. The only D I've gotten in my entire academic career was in kindergarten, for Drawing a Man. After that, I became convinced that I cannot draw anything Big Grin

quote:
Have You Fallen for the Myth of ‘I Can’t Draw’? Do It Anyway—and Reap the Rewards

The hurdles people face when it comes to learning to draw and how they can be overcome.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...and-reap-the-rewards

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, thanks for sharing it! I always liked to doodle, although I haven’t done so regularly in years. If asked, I would definitely say “I can’t draw.”

The other day, I found one of those adult coloring books, I think I bought it early in the pandemic but then I never did any coloring (maybe because I didn’t buy any coloring pencils, bc I haven’t found any yet.)

Anyway, reading the article made me wonder how the benefits of drawing compare to the adult coloring book thing, which IIRC became popular because it was supposed to relieve stress. I bet there are some similarities but perhaps something missing in the coloring model.

Re flow, immersing yourself in a creative activity without judgement is definitely one way to get it. Playing the piano gets me there< as long as I stay out of my own way. WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
As it happens, this just popped up on FB Big Grin

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
As a young child, I was considered quite good at freehand drawing. Up to my second or maybe even third grade, I have won many art competitions in my age groups. The problem is I have not advanced my freehand drawing skills much after the third grade. So now I am a middle aged man drawing at a third grade level. In that sense, I also can’t draw. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The only D you got was in Kindergarten?

Amateur. Evil

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post