well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How friendships have changed during the pandemic

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How friendships have changed during the pandemic
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
“I Think He’s Selfish”: How Friendships Have Been Tested During The Pandemic

With coronavirus cases rising exponentially, people are living at different levels of risk. And it’s causing a strain with some of their closest relationships.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/a...tionships-and-family

Am finding this to be the case with a couple of friends who are downplaying the pandemic. They both wear masks but think people are being way too paranoid. With one of them, I think it's about politics (a Republican living in a Dem-dominated state so everything the Dem governor does is garbage) and the for the other one I think it's wishful thinking. Her family business is hotel management; as one might imagine the business is struggling. She just wants things to go back to normal, and I think by believing that it's "not that bad" that somehow her wish will come true...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
For sure! We have friends in Michigan that couldn't really understand why we didn't want to visit over the summer...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We‘ve terminated a few friendships. It’s not the politics, it’s the morality and basic decency.

The anti-mask thing put it over the edge.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
No close friendships, but the difference is how I approach more distant relationships I need to keep friendly - i.e., neighbors still hanging TRUMP/PENCE POSTER, large new flags, and a few very sincere relations (one sometimes helps me clean) who are completely dedicated to the war against infanticide (=abortion).

And some members of the synagogue whose affiliation I am not sure of (especially on account of the Israel-Trump connection which troubles me greatly anyhow). If we were still meeting IRL it would be easier to find topics to discuss without stepping on toes (like sons who are friends) . On ZOOM, though, everything is much more upfront after the service is over. Some things you just don't ask - or even congratulate someone about when you don't know whether or not they're cheering like you are (or in deep mourning).

Sometimes it really gets down to weather and food for chitchat (and we can't even share food online). Thank G-d one member recently had a baby!

I don't know how the rabbi manages He's the most diplomatic human being I've ever known. Indeed his predecessor was fired because he was so in-your-face.
The last straw was his deciding to dedicate his main High Holiday Services sermon to same-sex marriages. Note: this was almost 20 years ago! (If you can think back)

Our present rabbi has enough trouble managing our herd of cats religiously, considering congregants range from atheist to orthodox. That's what happens when there's only one synagogue in a small community.

(At least online, there's no separating the masked from the maskless!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I may have self-selected early. All my friends are either of the same political persuasion as I am, or are virulent never Trumpers.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have some relatives with whom I'm a bit at arms'-length, but I haven't stopped speaking with them.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep - I have friends where we have agreed (either overtly or covertly) to just not discuss politics. I know where they stand; they know where I stand. In the olden days we used to call that manners. Wink

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post