well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I bought a desk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a desk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
Now I can have an office. I'm very excited.

The place where I lived in Lahaina for seven years wouldn't fit one.

It's been eleven long years since I had a desk.

I found a 39" solid wood (oak planks made into a desk top and finished), with a strong, minimalist, black metal frame, for $99 on Amazon.

One of my criteria was no particle board because it won't withstand the humidity.

I think it's a good price. It took me weeks to find it.

I bought a wooden tripod lamp with a beige shade and an on/ off switch.

I bought two LED warm white bulbs that are 15 watt equivalent. The new light is going on my nightstand. I have a lamp that shines where you want by bending the metal between the base and lamp. It's on my nightstand. I'm moving it to the desk.

Please feel free to recommend desk chairs if you know of any nice ones with lumbar support.

I'm planning to buy a Chromebook.

I'm also planning to buy a solid bamboo cabinet about as tall as the desk with four drawers and a cupboard with an option of configuring it with three shelves.

I have to take my closet door off to make space for my desk.

The closet door stays open and the triangle shaped space behind it is wasted space anyway.

I chose Wednesday. Fewer deliveries to your address. Big Grin

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I couldn’t live without a desk.

For your chair, I’d suggest you visit a used office furniture store if you want something that will be supportive and last awhile. The market is flooded right now owing to the number of offices closed when people started WFH. You should find a nice selection.

The ones you get on Amazon/Staples just aren’t made very well. The chair you want is one made by one of the big, expensive manufacturers like Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll, etc. Their chairs run upwards of $1000 new but you should be able to pick one up lightly used for less than $200. I got mine for $75 at a Steelcase dealer downtown.

Enjoy!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I'll look for them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I bought another chair for Sharon at a dealer called W. B. Mason. They must have had 100 to choose from - all different types, colors and conditions. I ended up with a Hon chair, not necessarily Steelcase quality but better than anything from a mass retailer for about $80. 8 way adjustable, very well made.

The thing I remember about buying it is that wherever it was before they must have had a shorthair gray cat that slept on that chair. I vacuumed it off and shampooed it but whatever the fabric is holds on to cat hair very tightly. I spent one night in front of the TV picking it clean with a pair of tweezers. Whatever - I’m retired, I have time.

I see Mason has a couple of locations in your state. Maybe check them out, and maybe take the chair outside to check for cat hair before you buy. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Cat hair adds that Je ne sais quoi.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Daniel!

I don’t sit at my desk a whole lot; it’s an IKEA castoff from when the room was a kid’s room. And then the other kid’s room. Now it’s my studio. I chart and write knitting patterns on my (raised) laptop there, and teach online via Zoom. But everything else happens on my iPad, wherever I am in the house/backyard.

My cats add their hair all over the house; it’s a losing battle. We just roll with it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, AdagioM!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I assembled it (and the light).

It's in the living room. I put a couch cushion on top of another couch cushion and it's the perfect height.

I like it!

I couldn't get my closet door off. RM wouldn't help me with it, "right now." So it will stay in the living room for days, or until whenever.

I am so glad I have it because we have no table and only one leather "easy" chair in the house. I've tried to convince RM the "great room" needs a rectangular table with chairs for years to no avail. I doubt I'll bring it up again.

The desk is very nice. It's what the description said it would be. I wish they hadn't ended their $85. sale but that's Amazon. It's not quite as nice as the photoshopped pictures but that's the Internet.

It was a bargain considering 32" pressboard desks on Amazon are $50.

One step at a time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Congrats! I couldn’t live without a desk.

For your chair, I’d suggest you visit a used office furniture store if you want something that will be supportive and last awhile. The market is flooded right now owing to the number of offices closed when people started WFH. You should find a nice selection.

The ones you get on Amazon/Staples just aren’t made very well. The chair you want is one made by one of the big, expensive manufacturers like Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll, etc. Their chairs run upwards of $1000 new but you should be able to pick one up lightly used for less than $200. I got mine for $75 at a Steelcase dealer downtown.

Enjoy!

I've just had time to look at Steelcase's official site.

Wow!

Those chairs look like should be in a HondaJet or something.

Very nice.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I put it in my bedroom. It has barely enough room but it fits.