well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm fasting

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm fasting
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I've been fasting for a little more than 48 hrs now.

I tried Google and learned nothing.

Does anyone have any advice?

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Make sure you consume enough high quality water and electrolytes, whether or not you eat actual food!

(How much enough water? I'd say at least 2 quarts, 3 is better. Go by your pee. If it's too dark or concentrated, you're dehydrated. (Pale pee and you're golden - um, so to speak.)

Primary electrolytes: sodium, magnesium, potassium - there are four others, and all seven are considered the basic electrolytes.

But, say! How long are you intending to fast? Is this a discipline, or for weight loss (shrink stomach) or other?

If you're planning to do it particularly long (a week or more), you might want to check with your doc or a nutritionist before you get much further. You might interfere with vital functions or the absorption of medicines.

For instance you could really mess with cardiac function with inadequate electrolytes, especially the ones I mentioned first: magnesium, potassium, sodium. For all I know, other organs too.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I see it says on line (several sources) that a water fast shouldn't last more than 2 or 3 days without medical supervision. Consider that.

For the record I once water fasted for ten days and I did fine (supplemented with the concentrated broth used for cooking). I did not check with anyone, but I was only about 20 and otherwise healthy. (Wanted to jump start a diet.
It worked. I remember I was ravenous for about three days and then I lost my appetite.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Most fasting diets include drinking bone broth from time to time. Drinking it makes it easier.

Biggest thing though, is not to get far from a toilet for the first several hours after your fast.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Too many copycat thread options.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Amanda, I don't know why I did it. I'm frustrated with entire subject of food. SO decided he wants to cook for himself. I don't know how to cook. Shopping for food when we only eat together sometimes has become a hassle. He did cook me a gourmet meal on Christmas Eve. I did eat his mother's food on Christmas along with home made cake, candy, and eggnog (SO made that). Then I decided fasting would be good but I only made it three days.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Three days is a pretty long fast. Most guys start with one meal a day.

Maybe learn how to cook a few things. Start by buying a dozen eggs and fry them up one by one. I’ll bet you have it down by egg 6.

YouTube will help, too.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post