well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Big Al's Knee Surgery Saga (WAS: S.O.S. - Big Al is locked out of WTF!)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Al's Knee Surgery Saga (WAS: S.O.S. - Big Al is locked out of WTF!)
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
If anyone is wondering why I haven't posted recently, here is an update.

I returned to the hospital on Nov. 30th to have the concrete spacer removed from my knee and a semi-functional joint installed. I say semi-functional because the extensive tissue damage and resultant prior surgeries left me without a patella and associated tendon to allow me to extend my leg. I received a hinged joint that should allow the leg to flex but will require external help of some sort to be extended. I presently have a brace that holds the leg in extension while the initial healing from the surgery occurs. The new joint is load-bearing and I was able to stand with assistance the day after the surgery and then walk a little with the support of a wheeled walker.

I had two more subsequent minor surgeries (performed under local anesthetic) while I was hospitalized to eliminate a hematoma within the knee and resuture parts of the surgical incision to promote successful healing. I had expected to begin some rehab work but that has been limited for a couple of reasons. First, the plastic surgeon wants me to limit walking while the incision is healing and second, I had a positive PCR test for COVID and was quarantined in my hospital room for 10 days. I had a negative antigen test on the same day as the PCR test, so I apparently was not contagious at that time, but the hospital protocols still required the quarantine.

I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday, Dec. 22nd. I am now back at my daughter's house where I am getting around with my wheelchair and a limited amount of walking with the aid of the walker. I'll be in the plastic surgeon's office this coming Friday to see how the healing process is going. I anticipate some or all of the sutures in the wound will be removed then. I'm scheduled to see the orthopedic surgeon the following Tuesday where I expect the discussion will focus on getting further motion in the knee and starting more extensive physical therapy.

I came from the hospital in our Subaru Forester. I was able to get in even with the extended leg by reclining the seat back and sliding up on the back a little to let the stiff leg clear the door post. I'm very happy that this was successful because it will allow me to go places without needing a wheelchair van. As my mobility improves, I'm looking forward to going somewhere other than to doctors' appointments and the hospital.

I'll update this thread again when I have more news to report.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Big Al! Wow, that's a lot to go through but I'm glad it's progressing well!

Here's wishing you continued improvements in your mobility!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Al,
Your spirited and positive attitude will see your
through this.
Hope you are out and about soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Ever since you shared about your knee sage-nightmare, I've been wondering how you were progressing - always hoping for the best outcome and ever reduced pain.

Knowing how independent you have always been, I was sure one of the sorest trials has been the need to be dependent on others for so many basic functions.

I cheer with you at the good news, one by one, which have allowed you to get around with ever fewer restrictions. Inability to flex your knee can sound relatively minor - until one is forced to cope with that or other joint restrictions.

It sounds like you have continued with your courage and stoicism throughout this ordeal, and look forward to hearing that your patience in following the many restrictions imposed has finally been rewarded by your regaining maximal independence.

High five, you!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update - hugs to you. Glad you have family close that can help you. And a positive Covid test on top of all of that? Holy cow. (Did you have Covid Symptoms?)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Al, I am so sorry for all you have been going through. It must be a huge relief to be out of the hospital. Hopefully the worst is behind you. Wishing you lots of healing, strength, and a great recovery.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Thanks for the update - hugs to you. Glad you have family close that can help you. And a positive Covid test on top of all of that? Holy cow. (Did you have Covid Symptoms?)

I didn't have any obvious covid symptoms. My daughter had a few cold-like symptoms a couple of months ago. She took a home test that came back negative. When my wife and then I had similar symptoms, we attributed it to some sort of cold and did not test. I can't really say for certain if that was actually covid, but, if so, it was nearly asymptomatic. In any event, the positive test in the hospital was a surprise.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you back, Al.
Here’s wishing you a stellar recovery and a happy new year. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re progressing, Al! Here’s hoping that 2023 is a much smoother year for you.

Group Hug

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yikes, Al! What an ordeal! Eeker

Let’s hope they finally have everything sorted and you’ll have smooth sailing from here on out!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update!

Been thinking about you.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
A long journey to mobility - hope this mending goes well.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Some forum members have asked about how my knee is progressing. Here's a short update.

At the time of my last update, I and my wife had gone to my daughter's house for my recuperation because she has a single level house where I could move around in a wheelchair or with a walker. The incision from the last series of surgeries required daily dressing changes for several weeks, but healed up in good order and to the satisfaction of the plastic surgeon. I had a universal sort of knee brace that gave me a lot of trouble because it wouldn't stay up on my leg very well. Nonetheless, I had begun going to out-patient physical therapy and gradually gained some more strength and mobility.

After complaining about the problems with the brace, the orthopedic surgeon in consultation with a prosthetics supplier prescribed a custom-molded brace that is fitted to my leg, has a piece beneath my foot to prevent it from sliding down, and is equipped with an air shock to facilitate keeping it straight when I am standing. It took awhile to be fabricated and delivered, but it works much better than the old universal brace.

I had suspended therapy for awhile because the therapist thought that I couldn't make further progress with the brace I had. After I got the new brace, I returned to that therapist once to decide on a further course of action, but after one visit she said she couldn't do anything else for me.

My wife and I moved back to our own home at the beginning of July which meant that I was going up and down stairs with some frequency. Just prior to this, I consulted again with the orthopedic surgeon and he wrote a new prescription for further rehabilitation to improve my gait and balance. I found a new physical therapist in a practice near our home that my wife and I have both used in the past. At the present time, I am having out-patient therapy three times a week and making some further improvement.

I will always have to wear the brace and probably also need either the walker or a rollator I got to move about more than an extremely short distance, but I am able to get out and do more and more things. This weekend, we went to dinner and then to a Pittsburgh symphony orchestra concert (first time for me since my initial surgery) on Friday evening. Last night we saw and heard the Brazilian singer/pianist Eliane Elias in concert at our favorite jazz venue and then had dinner with one of our daughters, and one of my wife's sisters and her husband, all of whom had also been to that concert. Today, we went out to brunch after church and then came home to watch football.

My life has definitely improved this year.

Big Al

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is great, Big Al! I'm glad you were able to get a better brace, and a better PTist!!

(I will keep my comments to myself about the problems with hit or miss physical therapists!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you’re able to get out again.

Hope the progress continues! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post