well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I need help hanging this chandelier!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help hanging this chandelier!
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
After 28 years in our house, I finally decided to upgrade our chandelier from icky builder's grade to . . . something else. I found a good deal on a new fixture, and I carefully measured the width to make sure it would work.

Trouble is, I may have erred with the height of the fixture. The ceiling is 8 feet. The total height of the chandelier is 22 inches. The bottom of the chandelier needs to be 34 inches off of the table. That leaves 13 inches for the chain. I am wondering if that is too little chain.

Here's the chandelier:

What do you think? Will it look stupid?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to your dimension concerns, but that's a great chandelier!

Good luck, I bet you can work it out.

Also, somebody page Steve Miller! :grin:

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18550 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't think having a shorter chain will be a problem. We've installed plenty of chandeliers that way and they look fine.

Depending on how it's made, it may throw little round circles of light on the ceiling - a look you either like or you don't.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have shortened the chains for the two chandeliers at my own place.

I do not think the chains are necessary at all. The chandeliers (the ones I have and the one shown in your picture) will work just fine even if the chains are removed entirely.

Good luck!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. The Big Hang is tomorrow.

Good point about the circles on the ceiling, but we’re stuck with it now. It would cost a fortune to ship it back.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Good point about the circles on the ceiling, but we’re stuck with it now.
A thin coat of white paint on the tops of the bulbs can cure that, but it would also seriously cut down on the light going into the room. You might also be able to find some diffuser material and cut some circles to go on top of the inner cylinders. Do you have TAP Plastics in your area? They have a variety of materials and can cut anything to any size and shape. A place like Home Despot also has stuff like that as replacement diffuser panels for ceiling fixtures, but then you have to cut it yourself.

[ETA]
https://www.lowes.com/pd/OPTIX...Light-Panels/4777774

and one of these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASK...tility-Knife/3140935

It's crazy that we expend so much electricity to make a bunch of light then block so much of it with diffusers on the bulbs and lamp shades and such.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Show is how it looks hung! I've monkeyed around with chains/extenders on various chandeliers in our houses several times. I've either lengthened, shortened or, in some cases just removed the chain entirely. Everything works, it's just a matter of aesthetics.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In the picture... how is the electricity getting from the ceiling to the fixture?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It will look fine, and much better than if you had it too low. You picked a really nice chandelier.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Well? How'd it go?

worthless

Posts: 4406 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s a really nice fixture, one of the nicest designs I’ve seen. I hope you’ll post a photo of it installed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Apparently, we have to let it sit on the dining room table for a few months before we get around to hanging it.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, we have to let it sit on the dining room table for a few months before we get around to hanging it.

ROTFLMAO

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s how that works.. .

Posts: 18550 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

ROTFLMAO

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s how that works.. .
That is definitely how it works in our house.

I just put up a new kitchen ceiling light fixture that was in the living room for about two months. Of course what should have been a 30 minute job took about four hours to get the wiring cleaned up, find some screw anchors that actually work unlike the cheap carppy ones that came with it, deal with the stripped threads in the junction box, and finally put the bracket on and take it off and put it back on a dozen times until it was straight.

Nothing in this house is ever straightforward.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We have a framed print that is ready to be hung. We bought it to go on our bedroom wall. It's currently ripening on the bed in the guest room....