well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breaking: Trump to invoke Stafford Act (national emergency)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking: Trump to invoke Stafford Act (national emergency)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Not yet announced from WH. Heard on Bloomberg News. Trump has a press conference scheduled for this afternoon.

Now I have to go read about what the Stafford Act allows him to do....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Build a wall.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am in class right now (students are taking a quiz)... so if there's a cliff notes version of what this means, please share!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act)[1] is a United States federal law designed to bring an orderly and systemic means of federal natural disaster assistance for state and local governments in carrying out their responsibilities to aid citizens. Congress's intention was to encourage states and localities to develop comprehensive disaster preparedness plans, prepare for better intergovernmental coordination in the face of a disaster, encourage the use of insurance coverage, and provide federal assistance programs for losses due to a disaster

What I'm hearing on Bloomberg is that it means FEMA gets into the act and that it frees up money. No real details at this time, so not sure how to evaluate effectiveness.

Hopefully someone here who is more knowledgeable will chime in...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Senate Democrats have urged Trump to invoke the Stafford Act and other disaster declaration requests they say would free up more than $42 billion in funding for states available in the Disaster Relief Fund.

An emergency declaration would allow a state to request a 75% federal cost-share for expenses that include emergency workers, medical tests, medical supplies, vaccinations, security for medical facilities, and more, according to a letter Democrats sent the president earlier this week.

Only a few emergency declarations for public health threats have been made since the 1960s, and only two have targeted disease outbreaks, when President Bill Clinton in 2000 declared emergencies in New York and New Jersey in response to the West Nile Virus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
thanks!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
He's supposed to address the nation at noon (Seattle time) (in 6 minutes).

I absolutely cannot stand hearing him speak. It makes my physically ill. And I assume it will be another xenophobic screed penned by Stephen Miller and Jared Kushner. And it will change nothing.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
"We have things that I can do. We have very strong emergency powers under the Stafford Act. I have it memorized practically as to the powers in that act, and if I need to do something I'll do it. I have the right to do a lot of things that people don't even know about."

I have secret powers. I have powers nobody knows. And I have a girlfriend, but you don't know her because she goes to a different school.

Sheesh. It's the same crap as "Article II gives me more powers than any president has ever had before" crap.

Americans are sick. Americans are dying. Americans are confused and panicked (just try to buy TP). Americans want to know who is sick, where, and how they got it. And, as always, it's all about him.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I am in class right now (students are taking a quiz)... so if there's a cliff notes version of what this means, please share!

SK, Vox 'splains.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/13/...rgency-state-funding

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Heh.

quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
SK, Vox 'splains.
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/13/...rgency-state-funding

quote:
“I am officially declaring a national emergency. Two very big words,” Trump said during remarks in the Rose Garden.
Yeah... I guess for him those count as very big words.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com