well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NO! No! No! This is both all too believable and incredible

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NO! No! No! This is both all too believable and incredible
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
This is terrifying and yet a logical continuation of what he's already been doing.

So, does this mean we can assume/believe that at least 1/3 of Americans are OK with this? And that these are the same ones who were storming the Capitol and who have been carrying on about the Constitution and Freedom for so long?

Or is this just some interpolation Vanity Fair has come up with as massive clickbait?*

Trump makes it clear he's be an absolute dictator if elected

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
* Having read this short article several times now, I'm wondering all the more whether it's Vanity Fair playing mind games with its readers. For instance, it looks like this in the only intro (=free) article leading prospective readers to subscribe thereafter.

Is their readership going to pieces?

What IS the message?

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's getting harder and harder to find good journalism. It's all about clicks these days....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It's getting harder and harder to find good journalism. It's all about clicks these days....

One moral of the story is NEVER just go by a headline, without reading the actual article - whether for ones edification or (all the more) to send to others.

(I got this from a cousin's FBK page.)
Pretty shoddy on the part of Vanity Fair. They must be desperate.

An important lesson about how both "sides" need to be careful about absorbing their news - in this case, whether content is plausible. It's more than just "checking sources" (which includes authors/editorialists).

I'd have thought Vanity Fair was reliable, yet this is just how echo chambers are created and amplified.

Bang Head

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Vanity Fair has always had it in for I-1 - not that he doesn't deserve it. And I-1 has had it in for Vanity Fair since the "small handed vulgarian" bit. He would regularly cut out a picture of himself from a magazine, circle his hands in gold Sharpie and send it to VF with the message "not small!"

VF always saw I-1 as an interloper and wannabee among the New York elite.

For the last year or two, most of VF's clickbait has been about how *this* time I-1 is at the end of his rope, he's about to see the inside of a jail cell, he's going down in flames, etc. etc. etc. But "Teflon Don" always gets off. So, VF slowly, incrementally gets more sensational about I-1's crimes and revolting persona.

I mostly read VF articles on apple news. Frequently, they are free the first day they are posted, then they slip behind the apple news paywall.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
sounds like clickbait. I don't click on them because they get paid the moment I do.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
generally, if it terrifies you, it's disinformation. Emotionally triggered people come back and click again. Fox knows this only too well.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
sounds like clickbait. I don't click on them because they get paid the moment I do.

Really? I didn't know that. A useful piece of info - will help me resist getting sucked into worthless reading (especially those incredibly irritating links - tantalizing sentence fragments that lead to infinite pagination that never quite gets to the point it promises to.)

Ashamed, of course, that I give into the temptation at all. I'm concluding we need to read less, but choose what we read with greater discrimination (and read that carefully).

As has been discussed here before - the importance of guarding the precious commodity of our time and attention.

No wonder, big Tech develops ever more gimmicks to trick us out of it. That and providing data.

(Some day watch one of the videos about Jeff Bezos' frightening genius. His story leads to where it has taken him at present - giving up Amazon as a store, and into amassing ever more data. How that gives him even more power than the big bucks. Hair-raising.)