well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lyric Opera of Chicago to debut SoundShirt

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyric Opera of Chicago to debut SoundShirt
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Not an opera, but something to wear...

quote:
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is the first opera company in the world to bring a brand new kind of technology for those who are deaf or hard of hearing.

It's called the SoundShirt, and it's changing the way people with disabilities see the opera.

https://abc7chicago.com/lyric-...g-dutchman/13801622/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is like parading cancer survivors, maybe worse.
Why not just stamp DEAF on their foreheads?
I offered to pay the have the sanctuary of a local church wired with a cable that would send a signal to hearing aids with T-coils. The minister showed me the black things that go into a pocket and the big black ear pods and wires.
No one used them.
People make a big effort not to stand out as disabled. Parading them for all to see is not appreciated.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea, but I too don't see it catching on. Opera is an aural experience. I could be wrong about it, but time will tell.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The shirts might be more popular at a PHISH concert.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post