well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Old Tell the Young, I Got Mine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Old Tell the Young, I Got Mine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Prop 13 redux.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's been true for housing and real estate for decades. Only the generation and location changes.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Indeed. And maybe we should think of ourselves more as co-defendants rather than prosecutors. Few of us who live on a street with single family homes want a 5 story apartment building built nextdoor to us.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Indeed. And maybe we should think of ourselves more as co-defendants rather than prosecutors. Few of us who live on a street with single family homes want a 5 story apartment building built nextdoor to us.

It isn't just next door. The town I lived in in Massachusetts had excellent schools but sky-high property taxes, because it was more committed to higher density housing available to those with lower incomes than many surrounding towns. And those families had kids, and those kids went to the schools ...

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What a strange article.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That was my take Steve. They started with a skewed position then set out to prove it by demonizing the older generation. Property has always been rather dear where it is popular and in short supply.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

It isn't just next door. The town I lived in in Massachusetts had excellent schools but sky-high property taxes, because it was more committed to higher density housing available to those with lower incomes than many surrounding towns. And those families had kids, and those kids went to the schools ...

That’s actually true of my town as well. In a relative sense of course.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Y’all might want to consider something like Prop 13.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post