well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The EU Votes To Ban Single-Use Plastics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The EU Votes To Ban Single-Use Plastics
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I would wash my canvas bags if someone could tell me how to wash them so they wouldn't shrink.

The heavy plastic ones I just wipe down inside and out with a sponge every once in a while.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
whenever anything leaks, which happens rarely.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
Does that include single use in the laboratory or medical practice?

More about what's banned.

quote:
The European Parliament voted by 560 to 35 in favor of banning 10 single-use plastics including plates, balloon sticks, food and beverage containers made of expanded polystyrene and all products made of oxo-degradable plastic. These are the 10 most found items on EU beaches.

EU countries can choose their own methods of reducing the use of other single-use plastics such as takeout containers and cups for beverages. They will also have to collect and recycle at least 90 percent of beverage bottles by 2029.

Tobacco companies will be required to cover the costs for public collection of cigarette stubs, which are the second most littered single-use plastic item.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/2...ndard-for-world.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I played in the salon today, it was ok but could have gone better. Missed a few big chords that I really wanted to get. But I'll get a chance to play it again at an open house in May.

So I came home and made a shopping bag. Pockets on each side, fully lined. I bought enough fabric to make two more bags. Patterned fabrics by Kaffe Fasset and the black print which gives an air of suede is from Moda.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here's a clever idea.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's great!

(Although it only works for produce grown in a climate that is conducive to banana plants.)

And then there's the fact that we need plants to recycle carbon dioxide, so, the more we cut down, the greater the CO2 problem becomes.

The real, long-term problem is that the planet cannot sustain unlimited growth of the human population. Although the drop in the birth rate in first world countries is a promising development.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You can buy these lightweight reusable net bags for your produce. They work great and add no measurable weight/cost to your purchases.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
You can buy these lightweight reusable net bags for your produce. They work great and add no measurable weight/cost to your purchases.

It looks as if the banana-leaf stuff is prepackaged in the factory. Much like the plastic bags of veggies here.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nobody picked up on Jon's question about washing reusable shopping bags.

I read one of those HairRaising studies about all the germs and bacteria found in cloth shopping bags, such as e coli.

I am very much in favor of eliminating single-use plastics (and I always have a reusable water bottle with me, whether I'm going to work or to the airport) but the limited options for sanitizing grocery store bags is a concern for me.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have never washed a shopping bag in my life, and I'm still alive. This strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
yes, I suppose you have a point. On the other hand, how long have you been using reusable shopping bags?

Also, aren't outbreaks of e coli etc. increasing? And I don't mean to imply that any increase is because of reusable shopping bags, but rather, if changes in farming/agricultural practices are changing (and that's what's causing the increase) don't we need to be more careful, not less, about how we deal with groceries?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Cloth bags are washable, I imagine.

We could even get some with a WTF logo.

https://www.discountmugs.com/p...f9Sl3mxoCHjoQAvD_BwE

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I have never washed a shopping bag in my life, and I'm still alive. This strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.

“They say smoking kills you bit my grandpa smoked 2 packs a day of pall mall straights and lived to 95.”

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Another clever product:

Biodegradable 6 pack rings

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
I wash shopping bags when something leaks therefore very rarely. If the bag is damp from condensation, I let it air dry.
I wash produce before using it regardless of source or method of transport. We've been using re-useable bags for at least 3 years but closer to 5, I think.
Should plastic wrap for meat be banned, I 'might' dedicate a shopping bag to meat transport, but I dont remember much leakage from childhood when the butcher wrapped the meat in waxed brown paper. Mad skillz that guy had.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post