well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bullying? Fine the Parents

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullying? Fine the Parents
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What is the down side?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
What is the down side?

Lawsuits, or just appeals processes. As the article points out, bullying is rarely done where adults can see it happening. So, in a lot of cases, there'll be an element of doubt as to whether it happened, the parent of the perp (likely a bully themselves) won't believe it happened, and that parent may be inclined to make a stink about it.

Plus, as we've talked about here before, bullying is sometimes an overused word, covering activities that you and I would not have called bullying when we grew up. Example: kids A and B are playing. Kid C tries to join. Kids A and B run away from Kid C because they don't want to play with them. In some school districts, that's defined as bullying. I think it's socially unacceptable behavior, but not bullying, because bullying involves intimidation. Schools throw it under the bullying umbrella because they already have anti-bullying policies, and it's easier to call it bullying than to develop a new policy for other kinds of antisocial behavior. But it's not bullying.

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
What is the down side?

How about an uptick in child abuse at home when fathers take out their rage at getting fined on their kids?

Sorry, this just sounds like the latest "innovation" that pretends to solve a complex societal problem (involving many conflicting definitions, as Quirt notes) with a mechanistic answer. An answer that is just as fraught with potential abuse from bias and power plays as is the current system.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post