well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Apple is shutting down iTunes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple is shutting down iTunes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Now what?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
so now what will you do Jonathan? didn't you get rid of all your CD's etc and change over to iTunes?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Now what?

Personally, I doubt it will make much functional difference. People will have to adjust to new software, but that happens all the time. iTunes is a bloated mess. Subdividing it isn't a bad idea.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I used iTunes to send rehearsal stuff to the choirs I used to play for. It was an easy routine--record something, save it as .mp4 (which is a relatively small audio file), email it to the instructor who would play it via ipod during rehearsals.

And didn't I just read where apple is releasing its first ipod upgrade in years? Maybe I misread that--It could have been an ipad.

It is possible to translate .mp4's into a bunch of different formats, but you have to do that manually, I think. What a pain.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I use iTunes (the application) to do backup/restore contents of iOS devices — there is literally no alternative for this. I use it to organize some (a small fraction) of the music I own. I use it for simple format conversions and simple ID3 tag management. I rarely (almost never) buy music from iTunes Store because I prefer Amazon.com’s straight forward, no DRM, standard mp3 format.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
And didn't I just read where apple is releasing its first ipod upgrade in years?

You did, and they are. Basically, I think it's just an older model phone with no cell capability and no SIM card insert.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It’s the itouch.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
so now what will you do Jonathan? didn't you get rid of all your CD's etc and change over to iTunes?

You talkin to me?

I have all the cds in plastic sleeves in notebooks. Got rid of the jewel boxes.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Wait. Does this mean the bazillion songs we bought on iTunes will vanish?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Dunno. But what I worry about is how we’re supposed to migrate our music to another service. And how we’re supposed to buy music in the future.

My musical taste does not lend itself to streaming services.

We shall see.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LL:

You talkin to me?

whoops,

yes, Jack!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dunno. But what I worry about is how we’re supposed to migrate our music to another service. And how we’re supposed to buy music in the future.

Same. I suspect most of us here won't have our musical needs met by streaming.

Also, I have a fair amount (not probably as much as some) of music I've purchased on iTunes, no physical CDs for all of that music. I don't want to lose any of it. I really don't want to have to spend a day (or more) migrating my music collection, getting the playlists all set up etc. I have some recordings I've made of myself playing and those are mixed in with my iTunes music. It was a PITA to get them there. I really don't want to deal with trying to start for scratch with all these little details. On top of all that, I never started using the new Apple Music app because it felt like Apple exerted more control through that platform than through iTunes. Well, here they go, exerting the ultimate control.

OMG one other thing I just remembered. My mother got rid of all her CDs and moved everything to iTunes and she has all these backup of everything. Now she's going to want me to help her figure out what to do now. It's going to be a colossal PITA, esp. since I have no clue.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We shall see.

Cd from Amazon is often cheaper

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm curious why you think that. Are there things that you listen to that are not on Spotify, on Amazon Music, on YouTube Music?

Or is your concern that you can't organize your music on a streaming service the way you want to organize your music?

Or do you think you listen to music in a location where streaming would be inconvenient?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It looks like the end of the iTunes store - unless I missed they were getting rid of iTunes...

It seems to always crash my widoze puter, but I need to use it for file management on my piano tuning app, so I'm stuck!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post