well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    first time visit
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first time visit
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Just happened to look out the doors to our 8th floor deck in the city - about 1/2 mile from lake Michigan.

My first time spotting an American Kestrel!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks
They are favorites of mine.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cool

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Nice...

I would not have known what it is. Don't think they are local to Boston

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is so cool!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
That's neat!

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Wow! And you got the shot, too. Cool

Have you considered putting a bird feeder out there?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Kestrels like to catch their prey live. They snatch small birds in flight or lizards and mice off the ground.

I'm guessing they'd turn up their beaks at bird seed.

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Kestrels like to catch their prey live. They snatch small birds in flight or lizards and mice off the ground.

I'm guessing they'd turn up their beaks at bird seed.

Big Grin

But not at the birds eating the bird seed. Roll Eyes

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The only small songbirds I saw downtown were dead ones, after they flew into a building. Even those were few and far between The lakefront is a much more appealing place for most species.

Pretty much the only birds I saw up eight stories or more were peregrine falcons and pigeons....now there's a thought...nothing better than a balcony full of pigeons to attract a kestrel's attention....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have Nyger seed feeders out for the finches, though the sparrows take over most of the time!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post