well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Solar activity

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar activity
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Hope someone gets to see the aurora borealis this weekend.

quote:
Americans as far south as Alabama and Northern California could be treated to a show of the northern lights this weekend from a powerful geomagnetic storm heading toward Earth, officials said. If the weather conditions are right, people in several areas on a map could look up and see the aurora borealis.

The storm has prompted government forecasters to warn of potential disruptions to communications systems, the power grid and satellite operations, but it could also put on a fantastic light display in the night sky.

"The gift from space weather is the aurora," Rob Steenburgh, a space scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center, told reporters Friday morning.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m...-us-aurora-borealis/

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We had cloud cover downtown, but I've seen pictures from U of Chicago and other areas around where the viewing was great!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I saw them - though in town, so the lights were too bright to see the colors. My phone picked them up though. Pretty cool!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They were seen by cameras around me, but not the naked eye. I drove out to a dark area around 11:30 but no reward.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We're hoping to see them tonight.

In the meantime, I'm giving a talk on zoom this afternoon, and I'm hoping there aren't any significant internet disruptions...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There are some wonderful pictures on Facebook, including one a neighbor took looking over the top of my house!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Some shots from as far south as Kentucky. The rest were near me.

https://www.cincinnati.com/pic...cincinnati-nletter65

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Cloud cover and rain here in NYC overnight. But have seen good pictures from upstate.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We had a beautiful show here! Drove about 10 minutes from home to get away from the town lights.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4103 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Was it that obvious to your eyes, or was it only that clear with the camera?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Definitely clearer and more vibrant with the camera. We could see pale colours with the naked eye, but our vision receptors are way less sensitive than the camera when it comes to seeing colour.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4103 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Cool photos dol! It was a bust here.

If you are on FB, this is worth watching.

https://www.facebook.com/55922...dorvanity=7611889139

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We went outside just after 10pm, could see nothing and went to bed about 10 minutes later. WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post