well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    DeSantis shooting himself in the foot?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DeSantis shooting himself in the foot?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Widely seen as a contender for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, DeSantis is locked in a bitter and public feud with the entertainment giant over the company’s denouncement of Florida’s HB 1557 law last month. While proponents of the bill have denied that it is a retaliatory act against Disney, critics see it as retribution for publicly quarreling with the governor.

Reedy Creek was created in 1967 by the Florida legislature so Disney could develop the infrastructure for Walt Disney World at no cost to Florida taxpayers. Disney established and continues to maintain more than 130 miles of roadways and 67 miles of waterways as well as government services such as fire protection, emergency services, water, utilities and sewage.

Tax experts and legislators say eliminating the district could have unintended consequences for county taxpayers. Disney’s special tax district status allows the company to levy an additional tax on itself to pay for municipal services, something that other counties cannot do. That tax currently amounts to $105 million per year, said Orange County tax collector Scott Randolph. Reedy Creek also receives additional revenue of nearly $60 million from Disney to pay its bond debt.

Sunsetting Reedy Creek means that local counties will begin paying for those services without that special status in place. Taxpayers will likely be left to foot the bill for potholes and emergency services.

The counties would also absorb Reedy Creek’s debt. The district historically operates at a loss of around $5 million to $10 million each year, according to its financial reports. But since Disney can subsidize its own operations with theme park revenue, that debt doesn’t have much impact on its bottom line.

According to lawmakers, there’s around $1 billion in debt on the balance sheet that taxpayers would become responsible for should the special district get absorbed, leading to higher taxes.

And salvaging those budgets won’t be easy. State law prohibits counties from raising sales taxes or impact fees to cover costs, and they must tax all areas of the county equally. So, whatever they enact will apply to everyone.

Randolph said the county will likely have to raise property taxes by 20% to 25% to make up the difference.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/2...district-status.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A fine example of the Trumpist ability to think of consequences.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw some Florida professor on Smerconish. He said Orange and Osceola counties (updated: Disney is in both) don’t want this. Disney does a great job of managing the property, and that takes a lot of work that would now fall to the counties. He pointed out that this law doesn't go into effect until 2023, unlike every other law passed in the state during the current session. Those will go into effect in July 2022.

He mentioned the possibility that the counties might create a special taxing district and give Disney back its powers. I wasn't following closely and missed the details. Shrug

I very much doubt that this bill was in the works until shortly after Disney took its stand, so it's pretty obvious it's retaliatory. And since corporations are people, what about Disney's 1st Amendment rights to free speech? Wink

This all sucks.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm sure my son will enjoy paying the extra 25% on his property taxes that is predicted for Orange County residents.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Has Orange County been voting Democratic for a few election cycles, so the GOP has little risk of losing votes there?

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
2020 results:

https://www.ocfelections.com/s...-results-summary.pdf

https://results.enr.clarityele...web.264614/#/summary

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
If Disney left the place would be compared to Chernobyl, but with a longer recover time.

How many businesses around Disney World would go under?

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Disney gonna do what's in Disney's best interest. They're not going to sacrifice long run profits to keep little motels and area restaurants in business. Nor should they.

On the other hand, I suspect they're not yet close to the margin of leaving. The fixed costs of rebuilding that infrastructure elsewhere is huge, and they would only do it if that rebuilding effort allowed them to position themselves better for the next fifty years relative to staying in Orlando.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Never imagined that Disney would do anything to save the businesses around it.
No doubt many
of those businesses backed DeSantis.

No doubt the cost of rebuilding will estimated and discarded. Disney and many Floridians will
probably increase their efforts to rid the state of the DeSantis pestilence.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Won’t Disney just start deferring maintenance? Just let everything go to seed so the counties have even more to repair in 2023?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Welp, Disney is playing hardball. Florida needs to pay off the special district's debts before it can dissolve it.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27...y-florida/index.html

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp Good for Disney