well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Green Drain Monster
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Drain Monster
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
The Green Drain Monster is back.
Green stuff grows in the drain of one of two side by side sinks. The only thing that keeps the drain open for a while is sulfuric acid made to clean drains.
If I don't use the acid the green stuff will grow up the drain and cover the stopper that goes into the drain.
Anyone know what will get rid of the green stuff permanently?
It is a bright green. I thought plants need sunlight to make chlorophyll. WTF?

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’d try laundry bleach. If that doesn’t work try Roundup.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'd second the bleach idea.

Got a pic of the Green Drain Monster? I've never seen green stuff in the drain, much less something that grows up and out of the drain. Identifying it might help us figure out what would kill it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Is there any concern with using straight bleach or roundup in the drain like that?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You don't want to mix bleach with ammonia-based cleaning products. I would only put bleach in a drain that was running freely, never one that is currently clogged. And after half an hour or so I would run a lot of water to flush it through. Close the drain, fill up the sink, and let it all drain. Repeat several times.

The best thing though, would be to identify the Monster and figure out why it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure about the Roundup idea.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Is this it?

https://www.familyhandyman.com.../green-sink-residue/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Is this it?

https://www.familyhandyman.com.../green-sink-residue/

Have not seen it do that. The green in your picture is different. The green is very vivid. It looks something like small beads pushed together. Washing it off the stopper does not work well. I use a paper towel to push it off.

Late yesterday I used the sulfuric acid. Now the drain works very well. Thinking of using it again to kill any remaining sludge.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Is this more like what you're seeing?

https://wiscontext.org/cyanoba...ate-wisconsins-lakes

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you don't fill up the trap all the way to the sink drain, you'll always be leaving behind whatever it is that's growing. So if you are using a liquid, it means the fix is only temporary because as soon as you pour something in, the trap drains partially and the vertical part of the pipe doesn't get really clean.

A foaming product that can expand and touch all surfaces is the only thing I can think of, short of taking apart the drain and trap and cleaning the parts separately. Or replacing them.

But you need to identify the Monster in order to pick the right poison, if it even comes in a foaming version.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes. The experts here at WTF (well, we'll be experts after this) need pictures to diagnose the issue.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Truly filling the drain is going to be tough to do.

I think I would put a gallon of laundry bleach is a sink full of water and let it drain all at once. Always add bleach to water, not water to bleach. Pool chlorine would work too.

I would not use sulfuric acid unless I knew for sure that the drain system was all plastic. Sulfuric acid is very corrosive to metal pipes.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Is this more like what you're seeing?

https://wiscontext.org/cyanoba...ate-wisconsins-lakes

I looks something like the rippled part with bumps, the bumps are packed closely together.

The drain is all plastic. Have used sulfuric acid before..
Like the bleach. Saw jugs of Outdoor Bleach on a shelf near where I got the sulfuric acid. May try that if the treatment does not work.
Will use the rest of the bottle of acid in a few days. Then wait to see if it comes back.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’d just use laundry bleach. It’s cheaper and stronger.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering:

Where do you buy sulfuric acid and why do you keep it on hand?