well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NY Piano Party
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Piano Party
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Update and reminder - Sunday May 5th

Party to start at 3pm.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
FYI, the 5 borough bike tour is today, it should have mostly ended by the time people are coming to the party, but just in case here’s the route:

https://3ysui22kxkdnv72438g9qk...RO_2019_RouteMap.pdf

See you later today!

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ooh! Have fun y’all! I’ll be spending the day grading and prepping a conference paper, but Keyboard Jam in spirit!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Super bummed here; my car wasn't up for the trip. Got on the highway to discover vibration coming up through the steering wheel when I got near 65mph and only got worse as I got faster. I decided to go the 8 miles to the next exit but realized I could cause more damage to the car with that sort of vibration going on for the 4.5 hour trip. Next time.

Hope everyone is having fun! Don't forget pictures.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
vibration coming up through the steering wheel when I got near 65mph and only got worse as I got faster

HairRaising

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Very bummed Bernard couldn't make it at the last minute because of car problems. Rachel too was disappointed, but no one more than Kathy K, who hasn't seen him in a while and planned to play a duet with him

Here's the quick update, more with pictures tomorrow. Actually I only have a couple of pictures, but Kath took a bunch too.

Kathy K and her new beau came. She played the 1st movement of the 2nd Chopin Sonata, a Scriabin poem, and the 4th (Fm) Ballade. Pretty impressive.

Grotriman and Bootsy played Bernstein's Sonata for Clarinet and Piano. It was awesome, I have it on video, but I'm not allowed to share. Maybe they'll approve a snippet.

Bootsy also played the Andante from the 3rd Brahms sonata. Grotriman played some Granados and Debussy's Pagodes from Estampes.

Bootsy's son played Bach's Italian Concerto.

Remember Masonite? I saw him at Grotriman's November party for the first time since that big 2007 party in Brooklyn. He played two Brahms pieces, including 117/1.

My neighbor came early and played a Chopin nocturne and a Brahms Capriccio from Op 76 when it was just he and I, and later played segments of the Schubert Wanderer fantasy.

Ax improvised on Mexican themes, in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Stellar as always.

His progeny really impressed also, improvising like their old man. I let him provide more details if he wishes.

I played the Ravel Fugue, and Rach preludes 23/3, 32/2, 32/12.

There's more but I forgot.

Pics later, and Kath please chime in.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
By the way, it was really nice seeing Kathy whom I hadn't seen in a decade or so. They stayed almost an hour after everyone else left and we got to hang out just the four of us and chat. Her beau is a great guy and was very patient putting up with all the piano nerds!

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Jon and Rachel again hosted a most delightful party. Really love the cheese selection you folks picked out this time ... mind I ask what kind of cheese the dark yellow one is? That's my favorite. Yummy

It was great seeing every one. Definitely glad to see KathyK after so many years, and for sure I missed Bernard ... but safety first! Hopefully we will meet again soon in future parties!

Jon's Bosie was powerful and sonorous, a joy to listen to, a pleasure to play.

As you can see from the list Jon compiled, the repertoire spans a pretty wide gamut and performed at pretty high levels too! There is just so much to love in this one party.

The kids did not improvise, but rehashed their latest compositions, which were recorded just days earlier:
https://youtu.be/XeEYL_sjgZY
https://youtu.be/rJJlUWEQfcI

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
vibration coming up through the steering wheel when I got near 65mph and only got worse as I got faster

HairRaising

We're just gone through frost heave season and I suspect my wheels are out of alignment. There are a few roads here that are quite treacherous for vehicles during frost heave season.

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of great music got played. Wish I could have been there.

Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
It was so wonderful getting together with some old piano friend, enjoying Jon and Rachel's warm hospitality, seeing their beautiful new (for me anyway) home , getting to know "the boy" (what a cutie and talented to boot, but don't call him cute!). We had an exclusive recital on his double bass and he does a mean minor scale on his guitar. So good to see Ax again and the little tykes who are no longer little!
And good to see Bootsie and meet Grotrian (finally) and Abe was pleasure. The music was pretty much non-stop and really wonderful. What a thrill to see the next generation blossoming with talent. Bootsie's son did the Italian Concerto and Jon already mentioned Ax's talented duo.
I did so miss seeing and playing with Bernard. Next time. Jon and I decided we need to do a NE party.

Our gracious hosts, Jon and Rachel

Abe, aka Masonite

One of the twins (I'm hard pressed to remember who's who) with an appreciative father discreetly in the background

Grotriman

Bootsie's son

Jon and his beautiful specimen What a wonderful piano!

Bootsie and Grotriman playing Bernstein. There were several comments about the snippets of similarities between this and his other stuff, namely Westside Story. What a treat to hear.

Ax doing his signature improv

Me in the zone

These last two speak for themselves

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
For the record, those are monkeys and bananas on my socks.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
The bench height seems adequate for the performers. Very important.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
The bench height seems adequate for the performers. Very important.

lol

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I got permission to post a teaser of Bootsy and Grotriman playing the Bernstein Sonata - just the first minute or so.