well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    First Covid GWAS is in - blood type matters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Covid GWAS is in - blood type matters
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
quote:
A lead SNP was also identified on chromosome 9 at the ABO blood group locus, and further analysis showed that A-positive participants were at a 45% increased for respiratory failure, while individuals with blood group O were at a 35% decreased risk for respiratory failure.

https://www.news-medical.net/n...C6j3jRBATgy8Y3vwJ5rY

And I’m type O - yay!

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This was written up in the NYTs as well (I think I didn't read the whole thing though...)

Anyway Mr SK and my mother are both O. I am 90% certain that I am A. (I remember asking a few years back, but I don't think I wrote it down, so I could be wrong....)

If you've had a CBC or metabolic panel, would they record blood type?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18410 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We're all O's.

The study is careful to refer to "an association," as opposed to a well-identified causal outcome.

Posts: 12527 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Anyway Mr SK and my mother are both O. I am 90% certain that I am A. (I remember asking a few years back, but I don't think I wrote it down, so I could be wrong....)

If you've had a CBC or metabolic panel, would they record blood type?

Japan is much more heavily "A" than the world average.

Posts: 12527 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, joy.

I'm A and so are two of my children. Muffin's Sister is B+, which looms large in my memories of her hospitalization. It meant that I couldn't donate blood for her, but I took it as a sign that I should "Be positive." Smiler

I think Quirt is not A, but I'm not sure about that.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Japan is much more heavily "A" than the world average.

Not sure what your point here is? Mr. SK is O and his memory or knowledge of his own blood type is not in doubt here. Only mine! Ole

A perhaps relevant detail is that in Japan, blood types are treated like horoscopes are in the US, people talk about them as connected to personality traits. As a result, almost all Japanese people I have ever talked to about this know their own blood types and tend to remember the blood types of their friends and family members. People were routinely shocked when I would say I didn't know my blood type, and that's why I made it a point to ask at the doctor's one time. But I don't track that sort of thing and don't trust my memory. Mr. SK on the other hand, is pretty sure I'm A, so he's probably right.

Sorry for the thread drift...

As to P*D's other comment
quote:
The study is careful to refer to "an association," as opposed to a well-identified causal outcome.

Indeed. Still, it makes one a little nervous thinking about it all. And I was definitely relieved that my mother and spouse are both O.

Posts: 18410 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Oh, joy.

I'm A and so are two of my children. Muffin's Sister is B+, which looms large in my memories of her hospitalization. It meant that I couldn't donate blood for her, but I took it as a sign that I should "Be positive." Smiler

I think Quirt is not A, but I'm not sure about that.

Nope. B+ here. I think we talked about the fact that Rachel and I are the same blood type.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure what your point here is?

No ulterior motives. You are of Japanese extraction, and Japan is heavily type A blood. It's not a shock or surprise that you could be A.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK is from japan - pretty sure SK grew up literally around the corner from me in Illinois (actually, not sure she grew up there, but she did live there, and unless I’m remembering incorrectly, SK is not Japanese.

And now I’m really second guessing myself - SK, didn’t your mom live on Mumford Drive? Or have I just completely made that up in my mind?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20437 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Ok this gave me a chuckle!

P*D, Mr. SK is Japanese. I'm Italian-American. ROTFLMAO

Jodi is right. I was born in upstate NY but we moved to IL when I was little, and that's where I spent my childhood. I went to Japan immediately upon graduating with my BA (in Japanese) and lived there for 12 years -- during which time I met Mr. SK and got married. I also started piano in Japan and I was still living in Japan when I connected to PW and then WTF. I used to say that I "became an adult" in Japan as a way of explaining my cultural sensibilities, so I don't know, maybe you saw that somewhere and got it confused??

Anyway, P*D that explains a lot! ROTFLMAO

Jodi, my mom didn't live on Mumford, but probably places close to that. She moved away and lived in upstate NY for years, but after retiring she returned to central IL, so I've been back to the old town to visit a few times now. Smiler

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, P*D that explains a lot!

Where's that egg emoticon...

I don't know why, but I thought you were half Japanese.

He scurries back to Wikipedia ...

... and Italy ALSO has a much higher % of A than the world as a whole!

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A+ here.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Anyway, P*D that explains a lot!

Where's that egg emoticon...

He scurries back to Wikipedia ...

It's her *other* half that is Japanese. Smiler mr Pique is type A. I have no idea what I am. I've asked, but apparently you have to specifically test for it. And I've never donated blood because I have low blood pressure and am needle phobic. Probably no excuse.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21329 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I mean... we've never met, so... I don't think I look Asian at all, but I imagine in photos it's sort of hard to tell. My father looked *very* Italian, but sometimes people thought he was Asian/Hawaiian.

quote:
scurries back to Wikipedia ...

ROTFLMAO

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's her *other* half that is Japanese.

Yes