well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    the other end of the radish

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the other end of the radish
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
What's green and crunchy and tastes like radishes?

I planted some radishes in a pot in the front yard a couple years ago. Some of them got too big before I got around to picking them, so I just left them in the pot over the winter. The following spring, they grew another foot or so and started to blossom. I left them alone and a month later, they started to put out seed pods. I guugled "radish seed pods" and found several references to eating them. Turns out you have to get them while they are still very young -- they quickly get tough and woody. But young and tender, they are quite yummy.

I also harvested about a quarter cup of seeds and I've planted several dozen for more radishes.

The original plants in the first pot have been going gangbusters this spring.

This was about three weeks ago:

Yesterday, I noticed the first seed pods were plumping up. (Sorry about the poor focus.)

I snagged enough for an appetizer!

I plan to plant a few more and let them hang out from year to year.

I will also try sprouting some seeds to eat the sprouts. Daikon sprouts are popular in sushi, they should be good on a salad.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pretty! (and great thread title....)

Pro tip: Sliced radishes with a little salt and butter on Lithuanian rye bread.

Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Yum!

I discovered that cilantro seeds are very tasty. I don't care for the greens but I am growing them now just for their seeds. Yummy

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just saw that you added some more to your original post.

Radish sprouts are da bomb. They are a little bit spicy and totally delicious.

Never heard of eating the seeds.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
5 radishes a day are great for sinus trouble.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Ummm... one in each nostril... where do you put the other three?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Just saw that you added some more to your original post.
(That was just a test to see if the picture showed up correctly.)

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Yum!

I discovered that cilantro seeds are very tasty. I don't care for the greens but I am growing them now just for their seeds. Yummy

Coriander!

I like both the seeds and the leaves....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Yum!

Coriander!

I like both the seeds and the leaves....
Seeds and leaves. Yum. In fact, I sometimes pull the seeds off when they are green and plump and eat them that way. I also put a fistful of green seeds in a bottle of vodka last year. I haven't popped it back open to try it, yet.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

Where ever you think they might do some good.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I let some of my radishes go to seed last year and ate a few of the pods. I wasn't organized about it, so I just ate a few in the garden and then they got woody.

However, I've gotten several volunteer radishes, both in the raised beds where I grew them and in the ground around them, so that was a nice bonus!

I've also planted a goodly number, so I'm very glad to hear that they're good for my sinuses. I plan to eat them, though, instead of apply them topically!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I might be the last person on earth to know this, but roasted radishes are amazing. They get a little more mellow and slightly sweet. So good!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Having trouble imagining radishes as a gourmet delight however they're prepared.

As far as a health food that DOES enhance flavors, there's always raw garlic, though.

I always wondered if part of its benefit in prophylaxis was getting others to keep their social distance even before it was a "thing"! Big Grin

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post