well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Shipping container house
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping container house
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I find it interesting and a great use of retired, to be scrapped containers.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I love that these are being reused. There is a placed called the Detroit Shipping Company that is a combo of restaurants, shops, and galleries all made of shipping containers. It’s a very cool space.

I will say that while I am a huge fan of black for clothing I will be thrilled when the all black trend for houses goes away!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
These houses are always interesting to see, but I would like to know what it feels like to live in a house that basically doesn't breathe the way a house made from traditional materials does. And what it sounds like.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be thrilled when the all black trend for houses goes away!

Me too.

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I walk by a container atop a container that is living quarters in the backyard of a house in Tucson.
Mother-in-law?
Wonder how they got a building permit.
It does not look bad and it is not black.
Tired of black and the gun metal gray that is the color of too many vehicles.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25722 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The thing to remember is when used this way the container is little more than siding. The interiors are framed, wired, insulated, and drywalled conventionally.

Cool idea though - great for earthquake country.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, maybe I’m thinking about this in the wrong way… or maybe I’m thinking about Japanese houses, which are said to be designed to breathe…

But anyway, am I right that a shipping container house would be more airtight than a house made from conventional materials?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Compared to older houses for sure. Newer houses are generally built to allow as little air infiltration as possible.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahh. So maybe it wouldn't be noticeable.

I wonder what the pros and cons of houses being more air tight are... I suppose if the HVAC is super efficient, and the house is super air tight, it might be better in terms of energy efficiency maybe. Wonder what the downsides are.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I like to watch a few of the homesteader type YouTubers and watch this family occasionally. They made a home from a couple of shipping containers. Here is their time lapse start to finish video It’s pretty interesting. You can see it’s not just the shipping containers - but how they are connected with other traditional building materials.

https://youtu.be/bYJalhhuOvE

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! I didn't watch the whole thing but just skipped around, still, pretty impressive!

I'm super curious about the money they spent, where they lived while building it, how they made enough money to (apparently?) devote all their time (and money) to building this.... WhoMe

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They were living in a shed on the property - and in part of the house when it was done. And some of those popular youtube channels (with enough subscribers and views) pay enough from the advertising monetization that you can live your dream, film it, edit it and make enough money for that to be your job!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Ahh. So maybe it wouldn't be noticeable.

I wonder what the pros and cons of houses being more air tight are... I suppose if the HVAC is super efficient, and the house is super air tight, it might be better in terms of energy efficiency maybe. Wonder what the downsides are.

If a house is too tight you can end up with “sick house syndrome”, where fumes from gas appliances and chemicals like hairspray build up to unhealthy levels. My own house is tight enough that it has a fan that runs every so often to suck in fresh air.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They're popular in the Pacific islands where there are a lot of them.

Tiny houses seem to be all the rage but zoning seems to still be a big obstacle.

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a house is too tight you can end up with “sick house syndrome”, where fumes from gas appliances and chemicals like hairspray build up to unhealthy levels.

Oooh, that is a downside! I hadn’t thought about that.