well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    UPenn loses $100 million gift

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPenn loses $100 million gift
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Ross Stevens pulls $100m donation

I wondered aloud yesterday if the three presidents' utterly tone deaf performance would hurt their institutions' bottom lines in the short run and in the long run. The short run consequences, at least for Penn, aren't uncertain any more.

As advancement people (fund raisers) will tell you, the problem of shaking the trees today for funds is that an increasing fraction of the available financial capacity is in the hands of fewer and fewer people. There are seven and eight figure transformative gifts out there, but it's increasingly more difficult to generate the same sums by gathering thousands of five and six figure donors. You really don't want to piss off the potential mega donors.

Posts: 12567 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Magill resigns.

https://6abc.com/penn-presiden...nnsylvania/14158842/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37991 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, ....

Somebody called that one three days ago ...

I wonder if the gift won't be withdrawn now.

The chair of the board of trustees also resigned, after writing a very gracious note about Magill.

Posts: 12567 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How's this for 20/20 hindsight.

I think the three presidents committed a big-time own goal with their carefully prepped (by Wilmer/Hale law firm) legalistic answers.

Liz Magill would be president today (methinks), if she had taken this tack ...

"Yes, Rep. Stefanik, calling for genocide is wrong and cruel and I have condemned it. For the most part, however, it remains protected speech. That's the same protection accorded to your 2020 election denial, which is an outright lie told to the American people. A lie that led quite directly to the insurrection on January 6th that cost people their lives. You now sit in judgment of American higher education for trying our best to balance the vital norm of free speech against the equally vital norm of maintaining an environment where people do not feel afraid because of who they are. Shame on you."

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

As advancement people (fund raisers) will tell you, the problem of shaking the trees today for funds is that an increasing fraction of the available financial capacity is in the hands of fewer and fewer people. There are seven and eight figure transformative gifts out there, but it's increasingly more difficult to generate the same sums by gathering thousands of five and six figure donors. You really don't want to piss off the potential mega donors.
A consequence of acute concerntration of wealth. Not a good thing for soceity when education institutions‘ functionings are subject to the whims of a few mega donors.

Posts: 12699 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
How's this for 20/20 hindsight.

I think the three presidents committed a big-time own goal with their carefully prepped (by Wilmer/Hale law firm) legalistic answers.

Liz Magill would be president today (methinks), if she had taken this tack ...

"Yes, Rep. Stefanik, calling for genocide is wrong and cruel and I have condemned it. For the most part, however, it remains protected speech. That's the same protection accorded to your 2020 election denial, which is an outright lie told to the American people. A lie that led quite directly to the insurrection on January 6th that cost people their lives. You now sit in judgment of American higher education for trying our best to balance the vital norm of free speech against the equally vital norm of maintaining an environment where people do not feel afraid because of who they are. Shame on you."

Too long, IMHO. Perfect in an academic setting perhaps, but too long and convoluted for the intended audience.

quote:
Magill struggled to answer questions about whether calls for genocide against Jews would violate UPenn’s code of conduct.

The answer should have been “yes.” Nothing more.

Wrangle the specifics later if you have to.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too long, IMHO. Perfect in an academic setting perhaps, but too long and convoluted for the intended audience.

No, no, no, no. In an academic setting, people tend to be polite to one another. Well, often it's the strained sort of polite.

I think Magill and the other presidents should have adopted a much more confrontational in-her-face stance at certain points in their testimony.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how true/verifiable her claims are, and I am deeply troubled by the fact that our "anointed by God" House Speaker is at her elbow, but if half of what she says is true, an overdue reckoning may be starting at the elites that have worshipped at the altar of identity for lo these many years. It's biting them in the proverbial behind.

Jewish student at MIT details institutionally protected anti-semitism and harassment.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No argument there.

How are such issues handled at other colleges?

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it varies tremendously across the complex and heterogeneous landscape of higher education. At our school we do not have official language police scrutinizing every utterance for micro-aggressions. Nor do we routinely have performative protests and aggression toward professors, other students, and outside speakers (though one talk by an ACLU speaker was interrupted a while back).

Then again, our students are generally a fairly polite bunch.

I think the atmosphere at the very pinnacle of the hierarchy (Ivy+) is a bit more toxic. But the crap taking place on those campuses drips down and tars the rest of us.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, Wilmer/Hale have some ‘splainen to do.

Why did they hire a law firm instead of a PR firm?

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
A writer in WaPo today advocates for a culture of mutual respect on college campuses as a way out of the current mess we're in. This isn't a magic bullet, but it certainly seems like a good way to start, IMO.

Here's a gift link (good for 10 views?)

https://wapo.st/4aq36pA

Here's the regular link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...earing-path-forward/

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18600 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Maybe Allen could be the next president of Harvard ... Big Grin

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18600 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post