Find
Notify
Tools

SNA>HSV
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So what are your thoughts on hush puppies?

The fried fish was dreadful but the hush puppies were delicious! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Then you didn't have good fried fish. Smiler

pj is correct that almost anything is good when sauteed with onion and bacon.

It is also true that almost anything is good when rolled in cornmeal and fried. If your fish wasn't good, Steve, I'm guessing that the fish was bad or the batter was too heavy. I had some terrible fish once that was coated in a batter so heavy that it peeled off in big crunchy plaques. And it was too salty. Ew. The crispy cornstuff is supposed to be thin, light, lightly salted, and one with the meat.

I concur with the recommendations to take out the ribs when you cook collards. Even when they're cooked all the way through, I don't like the texture of the ribs. (Ditto for Swiss chard.) I do still simmer them for an hour or two so they can soak up whatever salty pork product is in the pot with them and so the flavor mellows. A pinch of sugar doesn't hurt.

Honestly, though, when it comes to redneck greens, I like turnip and mustard greens better. Best of all are turnip and mustard greens, mixed. The turnips are earthier and the mustards are sharper, so the mix is awesome. Both are more tender than collards, so they don't require as much cooking.

Collards are a form of kale, so you can cook them any way you'd cook kale if you take out the ribs.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely correct on the fish. We went to the most popular restaurant in town but the flour-based breading was way too heavy and not crisp. The shrimp and the catfish both tasted the same - like breading.

OTOH the peel-n-eat shrimp were excellent and something I’ve never tried. I ate them while I thought about JonNYC and wondered how he would feel about tearing off their little feet.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I love hush puppies.

Amuric'n falafel.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post