well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meme of the Day
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meme of the Day
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
image hosting services

And the best article I've seen on the issue:

quote:
while 19 police officers dawdled in the hallway, the children trapped in the classroom with the shooter frantically cried for help and called 911, explicitly stating that some were dead but others were still alive. As that was happening, the Uvalde police not only stood back—they actively prevented a Border Patrol tactical unit from trying to enter the classroom.

"There were 19 officers in there," said McCraw. "In fact, there were plenty of officers to do whatever needed to be done, with one exception: The incident commander inside believed they needed more equipment and more officers to do a tactical breach at that point."

That commander's erroneous belief that the active threat to children had passed is not merely wrong, it is obscene: The still-living children repeatedly alerted law enforcement to their dramatically unsafe situation.

As sickening as it is, this is worth repeating: With the children wounded, bleeding, dying, and frantically—quietly—calling for help, the police stood by, waiting for even more assistance. They told the Border Patrol to hold off, and they actively restrained parents outside the school who begged them to help and even volunteered to do so themselves.

The public is still learning the truth of what actually happened on Tuesday. But based on what is currently known, it is hard to imagine a more appalling response from law enforcement. In fact, the word appalling doesn't even do this calamity justice. The police failed so completely, so utterly, so pathologically during those key 45 minutes—undoubtedly the longest 45 minutes of the fourth-graders' lives—that one wonders how such failure is even possible.

https://reason.com/2022/05/27/...kids-salvador-ramos/

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Curse

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So if the weapon of choice for mass killings wasn't an assault rifle, would police hesitate to engage the shooter???

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They had a SWAT team, but they had to wait to get a key from a janitor to get in?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Children called 911 asking for the police to come in, telling what room they were in, reporting how many were already dead, how many were still exposed to the shooter...

And still the police claim they didn't know where the shooter was?!

Cowards!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mad

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wow.

How egregious.

What a nightmare.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
if it had not involved children, you would never have heard of it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Are you saying it isn’t worse when children are involved?

Most people would think that the obligation to save children is greater. They cannot save themselves.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's demonstrably untrue. We heard about the Buffalo grocery store shooting of adults just a few days before.

When a mass shooting kills people who inarguably are going about their own business in places that shouldn't be dangerous in the opinion of middle-class America, it makes the news.

There is an argument to be had over whether the media ignores things it shouldn't because they happen in ways and places that allow middle-class Americans to think it couldn't happen to them or that the victims somehow "had it coming," but we absolutely do hear of shootings that involve adults.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Are you saying it isn’t worse when children are involved?

Most people would think that the obligation to save children is greater. They cannot save themselves.
Of course not. But had a decision like this to hold back not involved children it would not have been the clickbait that it is now. It is a comment on the media, not the police.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

When a mass shooting kills people who inarguably are going about their own business in places that shouldn't be dangerous in the opinion of middle-class America, it makes the news.

I agree, though I would add that for me, what I notice isn't limited to shootings.

Back in the 60s (when I was a kid and dinosaurs roamed the earth), there were several murders that made headlines. It's fifty-plus years later and I still remember the details of the murder of Senator Charles Percy's daughter Valerie in her bedroom during the middle of the night. And the horrific stabbing murders of the nurses that Richard Speck killed. Heck I still remember the name of the one survivor who was able to identify him.

edit: And as far as the media is concerned, hasn't it always been about getting eyes?

edit some more: And it wouldn't matter who was inside getting killed while police weren't moving in. It was a terrible decision, one that the law enforcement people will have to live with for the rest of their lives. The families who lost loved ones are suffering terribly, but I imagine those cops are also going through their own version of hell.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I imagine those cops are also going through their own version of hell.

Of course, but their version of hell was within their control. The families' was not.