well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Judge Pan and the lawyer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge Pan and the lawyer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Trump’s Lawyer Walked Into a Trap

By the end of the argument, everyone knew it.....

Sauer never got the chance to answer his own rhetorical questions, because at this point, the panel’s most incisive and persistent questioner jumped in. “Can I explore the implications of what you are arguing?” inquired Judge Florence Y. Pan, a Biden appointee and longtime federal prosecutor in the nation’s capital who also served on the Superior Court as well as the United States District Court there. “I understand your position to be that a president is immune from criminal prosecution for any official act, even if that action is taken for an unlawful or unconstitutional purpose. Is that correct?”

Sauer’s answer: Yes, but with an exception. The exception being that, if a president is impeached by the House of Representatives and convicted by the Senate, then and only then can he be prosecuted in a criminal court, after he leaves office, for the offenses for which the Senate had convicted him.

This was not a great answer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...o-a-trap/ar-AA1mK0XZ

I listened to the exchange about a president ordering Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival. The lawyer's arguments were a combination of absurd and frightening. The whole thing made me think TFG really believes he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Trump does seem to have a habit of hiring inept lawyers. Wonder why ...

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump does seem to have a habit of hiring inept lawyers. Wonder why ...

Maybe because all the competent lawyers are smart enough to not work for him?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Because they never get paid, and/or because they wind up charged with some crime of their own performed on Trump's behalf.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post