well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Quirt and I aren't going to be on TV, but...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quirt and I aren't going to be on TV, but...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
...our house might.

We are still in the earliest stages of renovating our new home, but we follow the Facebook pages of various town organizations to get a feel for our new community.

One of those organizations is the church across the street, which is the setting for about a minute of an episode of the new season of The Gilded Age. The first episode aired last night, so the photos the church took during filming are no longer embargoed and they posted them this morning.

The interior of the church appears in the season trailer, but the church's photos show that some of the filming was outdoors, because you can see horses and carriages and such. Our house shows up in couple of the photos. Judging by the position of all the equipment, our house will be just out of frame, but we won't know until we see the episode.

I have a meeting tonight, but it should be over early enough that we can watch the premiere and see if we recognize any of the settings.

Our house is the red-trimmed beige one with traffic cones in front.

That's our red chimney in back.

For geolocation purposes, our house is four houses to the left of the one you can see through the church doors.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Looking at those photos more closely, I'm thinking it's unlikely that they'll show much of our side of the street.

They can't shoot anything above about the first floors of those houses, because of the power lines.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Also, air conditioners.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Fun!! (I am reminded just how cool your house is!!!)

P.S.
quote:
Also, air conditioners.

Ugh, modernity!
WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I agree, aesthetically, but air conditioners are my favorite part of modernity.

Setting aside, I suppose, indoor plumbing and the right to vote.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I agree, aesthetically, but air conditioners are my favorite part of modernity.

Setting aside, I suppose, indoor plumbing and the right to vote.

Agreement all around!!!

Especially at this age, I could not live without AC. Unfortunately!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Beautiful neighborhood! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Fun!

So how is the renovation coming?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is so cool!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Fun!

Slowly. We have plans, and we're waiting for the contractor to come back with preliminary pricing.

The basement is also pretty damp, and it was apparently the practice at the time to build a brick foundation on top of rubble, so that's what we expect is there. It's been around for 140 years so it's probably not going anywhere, but we are going to try to both waterproof and reinforce the foundation at the same time. They're digging a test hole today to see what's down there and to come up with a plan.

It was apparently also the fashion to put brick in between the studs of the exterior walls as insulation. We have to cut a test hole to check on that, too.

We're planning to have a large chunk of both families, plus some animals, there after Christmas. It should be interesting, with maybe a dozen people and two bathrooms. (And we had to ask the contractor not to demolish one of them until January so that we weren't down to one.)

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Cool! Good luck on your renovations, and catching a glimpse of your house!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Fun!

Slowly. We have plans, and we're waiting for the contractor to come back with preliminary pricing.

The basement is also pretty damp, and it was apparently the practice at the time to build a brick foundation on top of rubble, so that's what we expect is there. It's been around for 140 years so it's probably not going anywhere, but we are going to try to both waterproof and reinforce the foundation at the same time. They're digging a test hole today to see what's down there and to come up with a plan.

It was apparently also the fashion to put brick in between the studs of the exterior walls as insulation. We have to cut a test hole to check on that, too.

We're planning to have a large chunk of both families, plus some animals, there after Christmas. It should be interesting, with maybe a dozen people and two bathrooms. (And we had to ask the contractor not to demolish one of them until January so that we weren't down to one.)

I salute your bravery at living in 140-year-old house while renovating. I'm sure it will be a showplace when it's completed. Pictures along the way will be appreciated.

We wanted to finish our foundation project by refinishing the basement, but our beloved contractor got caught between his camper and his truck and broke his leg several places.

I finished it in 2003, but then we developed foundation issues on one wall and had to tear much of it out again. That hurt.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Oh, we're still living in Oklahoma. We'll visit in late December (after the new HVAC goes in!). But we are hoping most or all of the work will be done before we move in.

Or, at least the demolition and framing.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Still, an ambitious undertaking. Did you settle on keeping the piano downstairs finally?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The cones are a nice modernizing touch.
Hope the renovation goes well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post