well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Has the ‘great resignation’ hit universities?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the ‘great resignation’ hit universities?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A wave of departures, many of them by mid-career scientists, calls attention to widespread discontent in universities

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01512-6

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing it, but we're still in classes. If there's a throng of departures over the summer then we'll know for my teeny neck of the woods.

But the general vibe is that the natives are restless. They've been asked to do a LOT over the past few years. But I think that's true for much of higher ed, where there was the additional requirement of retooling the entire course delivery model to go remote, with a fuzzy switch back. For instance, we still have many courses that are being offered simultaneously as in person and online, which isn't fully 2x the work but close to it.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We've had some fairly sudden retirements, but I've noticed that people don't give a lot of warning around here. (Is that true in academia in general?) I couldn't say for sure that people are resigning because of the current economic, health, or social situation.

I know of multiple people who would retire or move to another institution, depending on their age, due to the draconian laws being passed here. Most people can't afford to retire early, though, and the academic job market makes it very hard to move. I think that's why we're not seeing mass resignations.

People are burned out from moving heaven and earth to deal with the pandemic without compensation for the extra work. (And, in many cases, without thanks.) They're tired of being treated like pandemic cannon fodder. But what are you gonna do? The bills continue to arrive.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This:

quote:
the academic job market makes it very hard to move. I think that's why we're not seeing mass resignations.

Also, while it's relatively easy for some disciples to get positions in "industry," I would say that the vast majority of academics are actually in positions that don't simply map onto non-academic positions.

And this:
quote:
People are burned out from moving heaven and earth to deal with the pandemic without compensation for the extra work.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post