well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Measles For the One Percent

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measles For the One Percent
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
https://www.thecut.com/2019/05...=fb&utm_campaign=nym

I’m due for a blood test. At my cousin’s urging (she’s my age), I’m getting tested to see whether I still have measles immunity. Apparently, many people our age do not.

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've heard that.

I wonder if the cost of the vaccine is more or less than the cost of the blood test. Is it bad to get a booster if you don't need it?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34981 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I had the measles, the old fashioned way. Can one lose immunity after an actual infection?

Posts: 12562 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CDC says if you were born before 1957 you should be fine. Guess pretty much everyone got the measles and immunity is lifelong.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/faqs.html

I know I had the measles. I’m also in the pre-1957 category.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I had boosters of everything when I went back to grad school, except meningitis. They only required that of residential students.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I had the measles, and barely NOT in the pre-1957 category.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I can't take live virus vaccines like MMR, so I hope I'm immune.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I didn't have the measles. I only had the German measles.

My cousin, born in 1958 or 1959, had the vaccine, but the immunity had worn off.

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I had the measles, and barely NOT in the pre-1957 category.

... and I'm barely IN the pre-1957 category.

Posts: 12562 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No problem with me clearing the pre 1957 bar but I only had the 2 week measles as a kid, not the three day kind. Is this a problem?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34981 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Three-day measles, aka German measles, aka rubella, is very dangerous for pregnant woman to contract. It's considered to have been eliminated from the US as of 2004 but could come back due to travelers to/from other countries, and due to reduced vaccinations here. That's already happened with measles.

It's possible that you had rubella but didn't know it; that's not uncommon. You could get an MMR titer done and know where your immunity stands on all three diseases. I found a lab that advertises that test for $129.

Or you could just get the MMR vaccine (I don't think you can get the rubella vaccine only). One dose of the rubella portion is 97% effective.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I didn't have the measles. I only had the German measles.

My cousin, born in 1958 or 1959, had the vaccine, but the immunity had worn off.

The measles vaccine has changed; I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to with regard to your cousin.

From the CDC:

quote:
If you received a measles vaccine in the 1960s, you may not need to be revaccinated. People who have documentation of receiving LIVE measles vaccine in the 1960s do not need to be revaccinated. People who were vaccinated prior to 1968 with either inactivated (killed) measles vaccine or measles vaccine of unknown type should be revaccinated with at least one dose of live attenuated measles vaccine. This recommendation is intended to protect those who may have received killed measles vaccine, which was available in 1963-1967 and was not effective.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m not pre-1957, but I’m pretty sure I had measles, and mumps, and rubella as a child. I think I also had a booster shot before getting pregnant, just in case.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9803 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I had a booster shot last year. Can't remember if it was for measles or chicken pox. Maybe both. A catch up dr appt as I hadn't been for a while.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post