well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why are these azaleas dying?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are these azaleas dying?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted

I planted all three of these plants at the same time earlier this year. They bloomed like craze and grew steadily until about July. After that, the two on the right turned yellow and now it looks like they are going to die.

I water them all the same way and put some soil sulphur on them like the guy at the nursery said to - no help. I also put Miracle Grow on them and that seemed to perk them up a little bit but not much.The soil is a heavy red clay that I amended with peat moss when I backfilled.

I called Ohio Edison out to see if the transformer was leaking oil or something but it all looks good. Now I'm stumped - and the only thing I can think of is to dig them up, dig two huge holes, fill the holes with topsoil and put them back in.

Any suggestions?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Steve, it's autumn. (This in Ohio, right?) Time for all good shrubs to go to sleep. Do not feed now--you don't want tender new growth right before winter. Water deeply at the base of the plant with a hose on slow drip overnight so they have a nice water reservoir going into winter. Don't worry unless they don't bud up in spring.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
https://azaleas.org/faq/#:~:te...rop%20their%20leaves.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried planting azaleas a few years ago and found them to be pretty fussy. The flowers are lovely but I could never get the plants to thrive. Part of the problem is that the soil around here is alkaline, and azaleas like an acid soil.

I know you added soil sulfur, but you might want to test the soil pH and see if it's acid enough.

https://rootingforblooms.com/a...nd-how-you-can-help/

Another thing I thought of...are they in full sun? I think they like bright but indirect light, and too much sun can stress the plants.

Have to check...I wonder if there are deciduous azaleas...the ones I'm familiar with are evergreen. Do you know what variety you planted?

Never mind. Duh. You said they started yellowing in July. That's a little early for a fall drop....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37971 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My roommate has plants, a vegetable garden, and an apple tree.

He got in over his head.

The vegetables in big pots died.

They have to be rotated constantly so the mowing and trimming can be done

He's taking a five day business trip.

I hope he doesn't ask me to water the plants.

I might forget.

Posts: 24741 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
azaelias are mostly deciduous. There is an evergreen variety, however it also does drop its leaves, in most locations.

good point about them needing acid soil.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They are not the best bet even for the Cincinnati area. Most rhododendrons like a bit warmer climate and more acidic soil.

A better bet here are hydrangeas and viburnums.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post