well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keep sweet pray and obey.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep sweet pray and obey.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
On Netflix.

Have you watched it? Yikes.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok,more than yikes. I just got to the part where that awful man started taking the little kids away from their mothers. What a nightmare.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I watched last night. Have seen lots on FLDS but this had new stuff.

The whole 'cult' sort of thing, especially around religion, facinates me.

David Koresh, Jim Jones etc. They all have some similarities.

One that really facinates is Colonia Dignidad in Chile. That doc is on Netflix "A Sinister Sect".

This one Lev Tahor was in Canada but moved to Guatemala shortly before we visited 8 years ago or so (and right after this vid aired). Turns out they were in the next town but we opted not to visit there so missed them. I learned about them after I got back. They were ultimately run out of town as they were harassing Mayan women about how few children they had. Ultimately, the charges were child abuse The Mayan men of the community would have none of it. Note at the time Guatemala had a very low legal marriage age, it was later raised to 18.

Lev Tahor on CBC

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't think I can bear to watch it Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I started watching it, will continue this week. I thought it was interesting. I didn't know much of the pre-Jeff what's his name history.

Edit: pre-Jessup as supreme being

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I don't think I can bear to watch it Frowner

I didn’t think I could cope either, but I found it fascinating, even if parts of it did make me furious).

Smiler Jodi

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I did watch most of it. Fascinating, beyond creepy, the sex table, the white temple room, the locked vault where the records were kept...

And there are still followers.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
For those of you who might be curious, this is a more or less modern view of the rituals, attitudes, etc., of today's LDS (not fundamentalist/polygamist). I found it fascinating. I tried to keep an open mind because most religious stuff can be sort of 'out there' if it's not yours, but some of it was borderline bizarre.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My husband was raised in the LDS. There’s a lot of bizarre there, for sure. Some of his family is still very much involved.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not going to watch that.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post