well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Identity Theft of many billions in Covid $ "like letting people just walk right into Fort Knox and take the gold..."

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identity Theft of many billions in Covid $ "like letting people just walk right into Fort Knox and take the gold..."
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
..."and nobody even asked any questions,"

Tens of billions in Covid relief funds, especially unemployment help. Sounds like the identification protocols were weak, to say the least.

I guess there really are zillions of files of Americans' identities stashed in the recesses of the Dark Web.

Must seem like getting the proverbial candy from a baby to them, "easy money".

That's the internet for ya' - anonymity leads to a level of crime never before possible, concretely or emotionally. Kind of the drones of cyber-criminals, plundering without any contact whatsoever with the victims who are just imaginary to them.

Of course, the real victims are actually you and me - as if we weren't already getting ripped off enough by all the corruption in the seats of power right in our own country.

I sure wish there were some way to come up with better protection. I guess I ought to remind myself of these misdeeds. when I find myself resenting all the increasing levels of authentication I'm required to provide, along with obligatory password changes and all.

FTM Somebody/ies managed to break into my Social Security account a few years ago, in fact. I'd never have known if I hadn't gotten a letter from SS inquiring about the online account I'd recently opened. Only I had done no such thing. What was really weird was the account was opened using the (ugly) middle name I'd gotten permission to drop from my SS account/card.

At least that reassured me they hadn't gotten my ID from my computer because I haven't used that middle name anywhere online since I signed up. Social Security told me they didn't even have that name in my file. That MAYBE it was. included in some effectively buried file.

International scam artists pull off massive COVID relief heist

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Russian mobsters, Chinese hackers and Nigerian scammers have used stolen identities to plunder tens of billions of dollars in Covid benefits, spiriting the money overseas in a massive transfer of wealth from U.S. taxpayers, officials and experts say. And they say it is still happening.

Among the ripest targets for the cybertheft have been jobless programs. The federal government cannot say for sure how much of the more than $900 billion in pandemic-related unemployment relief has been stolen, but credible estimates range from $87 million to $400 billion — at least half of which went to foreign criminals, law enforcement officials say.

Those staggering sums dwarf, even on the low end, what the federal government spends every year on intelligence collection, food stamps or K-12 education.

"This is perhaps the single biggest organized fraud heist we've ever seen," said security researcher Armen Najarian of the firm RSA, who tracked a Nigerian fraud ring as it allegedly siphoned millions of dollars out of more than a dozen states.

Jeremy Sheridan, who directs the office of investigations at the Secret Service, called it "the largest fraud scheme that I've ever encountered."

..."This is like letting people just walk right into Fort Knox and take the gold, and nobody even asked any questions," said Blake Hall, the CEO of ID.me, which has contracts with 27 states to verify identities.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post