well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Politico: Bernie Sanders Is in Trouble
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politico: Bernie Sanders Is in Trouble
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
quote:
a problematic narrative was hardening around him: His campaign is in disarray and Elizabeth Warren has eclipsed him as the progressive standard-bearer of the primary. He’s sunk to third place nationally, behind Warren and Joe Biden, and some polls of early nomination states show him barely clinging to double digits. He’s shaken up his staffs in Iowa and New Hampshire. He’s lost the endorsement of the Working Families Party, a left-wing group that backed him in 2016, to Warren.

“Bernie has no idea how to right the ship and neither does anybody around him,” a Democratic activist with knowledge of the campaign says. “They don’t know where they’re going. They know things aren’t going well and they’re grasping at ideas.”

As Sanders has stagnated and Warren has soared, even some of the Vermont senator’s supporters are expressing alarm. Something is off, they say privately, adding to the chorus of people in establishment political circles saying the same thing.

The ideas from his volunteers, former aides, past delegates, steering committee members, and even some people within his campaign, vary. But they almost all come back to the same fundamental question, a question that has confounded the campaign since its earliest days: Can Bernie Sanders — a 78-year-old iconoclast whose entire identity is about standing firm in his beliefs, damn it — change?

“My go-to answer when anyone asks me what Bernie’s really like, and I get asked that question all the time, is he is exactly how he is onstage in real life," a former aide to Sanders says. "He’s kind of a cranky, cantankerous old man who is completely and just obsessively convinced of his convictions. There’s no political calculation, really, with the things he does and says. And that’s why he can speak with a clear mind and clear heart about his economic message better than almost anyone can. But it also comes with pitfalls.”

Andrew Feldman, a progressive consultant with close ties to labor unions, says Sanders has been given a gift: With the national media absorbed by the impeachment inquiry, he has an opportunity to reset and develop a clear plan to win Iowa.

“The question,” he says, “is will he and his team be able to professionalize their operation to really maximize on this moment?”

Sanders has shown he can change, but only a little, at times, in ways that feel true to him. The question is whether that’s enough to win — and perhaps more importantly, whether Americans want a president who won’t bend.

https://www.politico.com/magaz...ction-decline-228755

Of course, this will mean that Politico is a centrist, not-to-be-trusted, out-of-touch media arm of the Clintons.

I think, if Bernie really cared about progressive issues, it's time for him to cut a deal with Elizabeth Warren and fall in line behind her. She's clearly ahead of him. But I doubt he'll do it until it's too late to make a difference, because this is as much about ego as it is about issues for him.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, if Bernie really cared about progressive issues, it's time for him to cut a deal with Elizabeth Warren and fall in line behind her.

I have been thinking pretty much exactly what you say above, Quirt.

quote:
But I doubt he'll do it until it's too late to make a difference, because this is as much about ego as it is about issues for him.

Also this. Ugh. Do the right thing, Bernie, put your ego aside.

I'm not hopeful though.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18614 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
At this point maybe they all should fold up their tents and support Warren?

I think it's too early for that. First of all, the diversity of the candidates mean lots of ideas are aired. I think that's healthy. Second, maybe don't put all our eggs into one basket just yet, because at some point Warren is going to screw up or the gods will quit favoring her for even a stupid reason, and we'll want to have options.

I don't think Bernie would make a good executive, but I want his voice in the conversation about where we need to go from here. Until the primaries, let's keep that discussion going.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I think it's too early for that. First of all, the diversity of the candidates mean lots of ideas are aired. I think that's healthy. Second, maybe don't put all our eggs into one basket just yet, because at some point Warren is going to screw up or the gods will quit favoring her for even a stupid reason, and we'll want to have options.

I don't think Bernie would make a good executive, but I want his voice in the conversation about where we need to go from here. Until the primaries, let's keep that discussion going.

It's hard to know what the right time is. But I can say this with certainty: it's before the convention, you grumpy, cantankerous old man.

(And I also think it's before the primaries start and he and Warren start to split the progressive vote and Biden starts to run up the score in the South, the way Clinton did.) .

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

+1

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Can Warren raise the $$$$? Wall Street is not going to be behind her.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think the reaction will not be uniform. There are those who are unchangeably opposed to her ... and then there are those who might say that, in hopes that someone else will be nominated ... but will fall in line reluctantly, because the alternative is so completely unacceptable.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Maybe people are tired of being yelled at by him, when Warren is saying essentially the same message without the drama and finger-wagging.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
She has something he lacks: she’s a capitalist.

Bernie came in with a hard ceiling. No way would he ever get the vote of someone who voted for Hillary. We didn’t support him because we didn’t think he could win.

And we still think he can’t win.

Cindy — confident that 2016 Bernie would have lost in a landslide

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Maybe people are tired of being yelled at by him, when Warren is saying essentially the same message without the drama and finger-wagging.

I’ve never noticed any daylight between them in the sanctimonious finger-wagging department.

In the drama department, she and her DNA test win.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Cindy — confident that 2016 Bernie would have lost in a landslide

I thought that during the election but once Trump won I wasn’t so sure.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I’ve never noticed any daylight between them in the sanctimonious finger-wagging department.

In the drama department, she and her DNA test win.

+1

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And now a heart procedure to insert stents?

I think that's it for Bernie.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I hope it goes well. I've not been a huge fan, but this is really bad luck for him, having nothing to do with his campaign.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And now a heart procedure to insert stents?

I think that's it for Bernie.

Bernie would be a horrible president. Hope he gains the wisdom to quit soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post