well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Nope, Alec Baldwin Shouldn't Be Prosecuted
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nope, Alec Baldwin Shouldn't Be Prosecuted
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Whelp, the trial opened today.

Prosecution is making an interesting (and I would say flawed) argument. The director who was shot and survived says that the director wanted Alec to pull the gun out of the holster slowly (for dramatic effect). Director says Alec wanted to do it quickly (for dramatic effect).

Yeah, but . . . has anyone proven or even claimed that this accident happened because Baldwin drew the gun quickly? If was a factor and the gun fired because of the speed at which it was removed from the holster, doesn't that mean the gun was defective? And most of all, isn't this just an artistic dispute between a director and an actor on how a scene should be acted, and isn't that what they were trying to figure out when the accident happened?

I'm still with the defense. This is a movie set. How do you expect actors to act in a scene (which is by design divorced from reality) if they are at all criminally responsible to observe gun safety protocols?

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Man, I WISH I were on the defense team. Here's the climactic scene from Quentin Tarrantino's "Reservoir Dogs." I would offer this as Exhibit A on how stupid the prosecution's premise that normal gun safety rules apply on movie sets:

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...992-film-anniversary

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't believe anyone is trying to hold him criminally responsible for doing his job as an actor.

They're trying to hold him criminally responsible because they believe he was criminally negligent. We'll see if they can prove that case. I'm fairly sure they are closer to the evidence than any of us are.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don’t need evidence.

I can learn what the prosecutors are saying in their opening statements.

Even if I trust them to prove every fact they assert in opening, it’s not nearly enough to convict if I were on the jury.

Baldwin won a key motion today. Prosecutors aren’t allowed to argue that Baldwin bears responsibility for the accident because he was one of several producers. Being a producer does not mean he had a role in selecting or supervising the armorer, the judge correctly reasoned.

The prosecution has all kinds of challenges. The script supervisor called 911. She said the first assistant director was to blame. He pled guilt already.

Baldwin has good lawyers, though. Very impressive.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Case Dismissed ... with prejudice

quote:
A judge in New Mexico dismissed the case against Alec Baldwin on Friday after finding that the state had withheld evidence that could have shed light on how live rounds got onto a film set where the cinematographer was fatally shot.

I understand why the judge dismissed the case after this nth example of prosecutorial malpractice.

I do not see how this is any worse than the tampering with the gun that the judge ignored.

All of this happened while we were wandering around town a few block away. Big Grin

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, finally.

That article shows Baldwin's reaction, very, very relatable.

I'm glad it's over for him. (Although, it's probably not really "over," for any of them. I doubt anyone who was there will ever completely recover from being involved in the accidental death of a coworker).

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed. He will be haunted by this for the rest of his life. But at least the unethical harassment by the government prosecutors is over. I hope that they will be disciplined for their obvious disregard for legal ethics. Prosecutors have been disciplined before. I recall the resignation, disbarrment, and imprisonment of Durham County prosecutor Mike Nifong in the Duke Lacrosse case a few years back.

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it’s enough to settle back into the comfy “I told you so” chair. Wink

Anyone who has charges dismissed for prosecutorial misconduct should be able to sue for damages, in the prosecutors’ personal capacity.

That would put a stop to this sort of thing once and for all.

People have spent years in prison due to prosecutorial misconduct. Some have probably been executed.

It needs to end.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That prosecutor wanted to make a name for himself.

He did. Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25842 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post