well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My neighbors.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My neighbors.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Currently they have two adult kids and his mom living with them. She texted me a week ago that she tested positive. Today she told Steve her MIL was just started on oxygen. (Guessing the MIL is in her mid to late 70’s). Currently still at home. I know they are worried. Frowner

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. So scary.

Seems like it's everywhere now. Friends telling me the only place they could have gotten it is grocery shopping. We are trying to stay out of the stores and at home as much as possible. Considering not going to my lesson barn any more--the owner's adult daughter (not living with them) now has it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
And still people are running around having parties, no masks, no social distancing... grrrr.

Lots of foxhole COVID believers. So unnecessary and selfish.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Friends telling me the only place they could have gotten it is grocery shopping. We are trying to stay out of the stores and at home as much as possible.
What's the mask compliance like there?

The last couple times I've been to Costco or the grocery store, 100% are wearing masks and about 1% have their noses sticking out.

However, I went in to the Dollar Carp store a week or two ago and about 50% of people were dicknosing (that wasn't on the pandemic slang quiz!), so I immediately turned heel and walked out (past five more dicknosers).

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friends telling me the only place they could have gotten it is grocery shopping.

For people who say this, I can't help but wonder if there's not something they are missing subconsciously or intentionally leaving out. Because if grocery shopping is a true risk, we are all in trouble.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm with ShiroKuro on this one...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I'm with ShiroKuro on this one...

Ditto

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Friends telling me the only place they could have gotten it is grocery shopping.

For people who say this, I can't help but wonder if there's not something they are missing subconsciously or intentionally leaving out. Because if grocery shopping is a true risk, we are all in trouble.

Well, a friend of mine has a new paper out arguing that face-to-face classes aren't a great spreader once you control for background infection rates in the community.

So, I'm thinking that grocery shopping per se isn't a spreader. It's the community background infection rate that makes everything, including grocery shopping, a greater risk.

Here is the paper, BTW ...

Does In-Person Schooling Contribute to the Spread of COVID

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
community background infection rate

What does this phrase mean?

In any case, I’m teaching one class in-person starting January, small number of students in a big room, everyone wills ear masks. So I’m kind of counting on classrooms not being a big spreading risk....

I hope that holds up in reality and not just in the abstract!

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The Catholic churches have been meeting in person in Illinois for a number of months - with reduced capacity.

The music director at one had Covid (mild case) and told me she thought she must have gotten it from "not my normal grocery store - which didn't clean the carts as much". Yet she used an ill-fitting cloth mask every time I saw her, so she easily could have gotten it anywhere...

A mask doesn't give much protection to the user if the user is breathing AROUND, rather than THROUGH the mask.

I heard that in Illinois at one time, 1 out of 15 people was contagious, so the background infection rate is certainly a problem.

Ok, off my soapbox now!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

The rate of infection in the community where the face-to-face schooling is taking place.

A community with a given rate of local COVID spread doesn't seem to raise its infection rate by having face-to-face schooling relative to shutting down the schools.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I go to the grocery store at 7AM on Sunday, when there are maybe 4 people in the store, other than store employees.

It's not a big deal to go at that time, and it reduces the risk as much as possible.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

The rate of infection in the community where the face-to-face schooling is taking place.

A community with a given rate of local COVID spread doesn't seem to raise its infection rate by having face-to-face schooling relative to shutting down the schools.

So it’s just another way to talk about community spread?

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes.

A community with low infections rates doesn't see raised infection rates if they go FTF in schooling rather than shutting down, and the same is true for a community with a high infection rate. The high infection rate isn't made even higher by having FTF.