well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Know an Olympian?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know an Olympian?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I do..She was a little kid in our neighborhood..The family was very active, big skiers.

Her Mom was a force (she called me to get me to babysit for new neighbors from France..the kids spoke no English)

Her Dad was in construction and built my childhood home. Their son/brother took over the business and is still active building in the area..Including building the neighborhood club house.

Donna Weinbrecht was always a great skier as a little kid..but she rocked the Gold in Free Style Skiing the first year it was in the Olympics..

My home neighborhood had a group view at the club house, a parade for her when she came home....

It was so exciting! There is now a highway sign with her name on it!!

Any Olympians in your orbit?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My junior high school art teacher won a Gold Medal in swimming (and maybe a Silver, I don’t remember) in Mexico City in 1968.

Lemme go see if I can fact check that.

There was an article about her as an art teacher in the local paper. I was in one of the pictures accompanying the article. That was a very long time ago.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Man… EVERYTHING is on the internet…

Kaye Hall
100 m backstroke: Gold
200 m backstroke: Bronze
Also a gold in a relay event

https://olympics.com/en/olympi...968/results/swimming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaye_Hall

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, and at the NFFMCo I worked with another Olympic swimmer. Lemme see if I can find the details…

Here we go…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Colella

https://www.ishof.org/rick-colella-(usa).html

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
So cool, PJ...

I wish I could find the vid of Donna's run..the reporter was at the end of the slope and had the mic up but Donna's Mom pushed them away and took the opportunity to hug and kiss her kid! It was epic! Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
A lady on my tennis team is a silver medalist in kayak.

Plays pretty good singles in tennis now.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The high school kid across the road won a gold medal in snowboarding.
Haven't met him. Saw him at a post-medal rally, but a friends kids say he is usually stoned.
This county is loaded with superb athletes.
Take a bike ride around Boulder. World class athletes are thick there. They don't snicker when they pass me. Lesser athletes sometimes do.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Not me, but my daughter knows the Australian women's beach volleyball team, and played with the sister of one of the women on the #2 USA women's team. She also knows the volleyball announcer (if you are watching indoor volleyball and hear a guy with an Aussie accent, that's him). So I guess my claim is more of a '6 degrees from Kevin Bacon' type.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The Australian beach volleyball team are in the gold medal round!!

I'm just busy birg-ing over here (Google it Smiler )

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don’t know any Olympians, but family friends had kids who were into snowboarding in Vermont back when it was just a pastime. One of those kid’s friends (from the same town) did become an Olympian…Shaun White.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I don’t know any Olympians, but family friends had kids who were into snowboarding in Vermont back when it was just a pastime. One of those kid’s friends (from the same town) did become an Olympian…Shaun White.

Wow

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post