well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Side effects include sudden death.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side effects include sudden death.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Can anyone explain what the business model for prescription drug advertisements for treatment of obscure diseases - looks like? They’re wall-to-wall lately.

If you have one of these diseases you know it. You also have a doctor and are likely to what that doctor says to do. If you don’t have one of these diseases you have no interest in the advertisement.

Why buy the ads? Confused

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a study for that.

https://knowledge.wharton.upen...escription-drug-ads/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’d be curious which diseases you’re talking about. I don’t get exposed to a lot of ads but when I’ve seen them they’re usually for a condition that’s pretty widespread.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well as you no doubt know advertising pharmaceuticals used to be illegal.

Now the public is saturated with pharmaceutical advertising.

Apparently they're required to list some possible side effects and adverse drug interactions.

These lists are often read by a female speaking very quickly and with a happy tone of voice.

These lists often include ghastly possible side effects including death.

I actually take a prescription a possible side effects of which is death-- i.e. take it a single time and keel over dead.

I've taken it for fifteen years so I guess I got lucky.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I’d be curious which diseases you’re talking about. I don’t get exposed to a lot of ads but when I’ve seen them they’re usually for a condition that’s pretty widespread.

Thyroid eye disease for one. I’ve never heard of it.

Tardive dyskinesia Is another.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A fair number of people who are hyperthyroid have bulging eyes. Guess someone decided to call it Thyroid Eye Disease.

And tardive dyskinesia is often a side effect of various medications.

I know several people with Graves' disease (causes hyperthryoidism), so was aware pf the bulging eye problem. And I researched the side effects of various medications that were suggested for my mom, so I had heard of both of those conditions.

I think these two problems actually pretty common. But then I'm a medical geek and read up on most everything....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post