well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Aaaaargh!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aaaaargh!!!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Trader Joe's discontinued my favorite hot sauce, one that we've been buying for years. To add insult to injury, it was discontinued last week, which mr wtg learned today when he went to TJs to replenish our inventory...

The (similarly distressed) folks on Reddit are already at work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotsa..._joes_jalape%C3%B1o/

There are a million hot sauces out there. Got favorites for me to try? Just for guidance...not a fan of Tabasco myself (too vinegary). And I like it spicy but not blisteringly hot.

Meanwhile, I'll keep track on Reddit. Those guys are amazing. They'll probably figure out who was private labeling TJ's version....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38002 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Tapatio and Cholula are my favorites. Frank’s is good too.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35000 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
+1 on all of those. Cholula also has some flavors other than the regular one you find. The green chili one is one of my wife's favorites.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We had bought the TJs oyster crackers for years. Just got discontinued during the pandemic.

Ugh.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7563 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Tapatio and Cholula.

To me, Tabasco just tastes like spicy vinegar and the vinegar smell nearly knocks me over.

Cholula contains vinegar but it’s not a strong note. IIRC, Tapatio contains no vinegar. They are both yummy, but in different ways. I find Tapatio is just red pepper while Cholula is more complex and flavorful. We really like the chipotle Cholula and wish it came in bigger bottles. Costco carries Cholula in a two-pack of big bottles.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This sauce is good too. It's a perfect match for the stuff they use on taco trucks for the fish tacos.

Trader Joes.

Posts: 35000 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So many sauces, so little time!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13828 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I thought everybody loved Sriracha!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sriracha deserves special mention. It skews Asian and it’s really good. It’s hotter than most.

Very different from Franks, hotter, brighter.

Worth keeping around.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This one, Craic Sauce, is made by a young man who lives on the next block to me and went to HS with my two older sons.

I just had his "40 Shades of Green Chili" last night on my quesadilla. Smiler

Still pretty local but if you like I can arrange to have some mailed to you! He is known for hot sauce with flavor but not overwhelming heat.

BTW, he contracts with local farmers (including the urban farm where I work) to grow peppers for his sauce. Yes

We loaned out a bit of space in our underused chest freezer where he and his Mom stocked the peppers for a time till they could process them. Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I love this! ThumbsUp

Will he ship two bottles to Ohio?

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Message me your address and I will run down the block to get them. What flavors?

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
BeeLady....can I place an order, too?

edit: Or is it better to just place an order through the linked website?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38002 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
BeeLady....can I place an order, too?

edit: Or is it better to just place an order through the linked website?

It looks like he can ship to you, so yes.

Do make a note that Kerri sent you! Big Grin

MillCityGrows.org

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
+1 on all of those. Cholula also has some flavors other than the regular one you find. The green chili one is one of my wife's favorites.

It’s my favourite mild sauce! I have a very high heat tolerance so I’m not sure my other favourites would be helpful, but I definitely second this suggestion for mild and flavourful!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4101 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post