well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    USC scientists uncover likely order of COVID-19 symptoms

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USC scientists uncover likely order of COVID-19 symptoms
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
USC researchers have found the likely order in which COVID-19 symptoms first appear.

The findings show that infected people will likely experience fever, then cough and muscle pain, followed by nausea, and/or vomiting, and diarrhea.

quote:
"This order is especially important to know when we have overlapping cycles of illnesses like the flu that coincide with infections of COVID-19,'' said Kuhn, a USC professor of medicine, biomedical engineering, and aerospace and mechanical engineering. "Doctors can determine what steps to take to care for the patient, and they may prevent the patient's condition from worsening.''

Fever and cough are frequently associated with a variety of respiratory illnesses, including influenza, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. But the timing and symptoms in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract set COVID-19 apart.

https://abc7.com/covid19-sympt...virus-order/6370569/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Where does loss of smell fit in, one wonders.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the paper: https://www.frontiersin.org/ar....2020.00473/full#SM1

I did a quick skim and it looks like it loss of sense of smell wasn't one of the symptoms they modeled.

If they explained why it was excluded, I missed it in my quick read.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Odd that sore throat is missing too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Both stevE and I felt like we had a sinus infection the second week.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Interesting. Odd that sore throat is missing too.

They classify symptoms as "discernable" and "subjective". They put a sore throat in the subjective category. I hadn't heard about sinuses, bu I imagine that would fall into the subjective classification too.

I think they're also trying to focus on symptoms that are common to COVID, SARS, and MERS and they are contrasting the progression that these various respiratory diseases go through.

I think loss of smell or taste is unique to COVID, so there's no reason to contrast that with the other two diseases.

Bazootiehead-in-training