well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Challenger, 35 years later

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Challenger, 35 years later
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I didn't realize there was a Netflix series about what happened.

quote:
Thirty-five years after watching the space shuttle Challenger burst into flames moments after takeoff, killing her husband and six other crew members on board, June Scobee Rodgers continues to find ways to honor their legacy — and their mission.

Rodgers is the widow of Dick Scobee, the commander of that fated flight, who died along with the rest of the Challenger crew when the shuttle broke apart 73 seconds after takeoff on Jan. 28, 1986, as Rodgers and their two children, along with the rest of the crew's families, looked on from the Florida shore. Today she is 78 years old and a great-grandmother, living in Chattanooga, Tennessee, with her second husband, retired Lt. Gen. Don Rodgers.

Yet her life is still very much tethered to that tragic moment, and, in a way, she has absorbed the Challenger's unfinished mission as her own.

"The media froze our grief in newspapers and TV clips," Rodgers told TODAY. "It was so unbearable."

Throughout the years, multiple books, documentaries and TV specials have been devoted to the Challenger disaster, including a recent Netflix docuseries, "Challenger: The Final Flight," which examined the mechanical failures and behind-the-scenes decisions that led to the destruction. Rodgers called the series "the most thorough" retelling of what happened.

https://www.today.com/news/jun...er-explosion-t205861

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
There are a handful of events that I recall exactly when and where I was when I learned they had occurred. This is one of them.

Judith Resnik graduated from the Electrical Engineering program at Carnegie Mellon three years after me.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I was walking into a hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. My grandfather had broken his hip and I'd gotten the call to get there as fast as I could. There was a television in the lobby of the hospital as I walked in, showing the explosion. When I got upstairs, I found out my grandfather had already died. It probably happened pretty close to the time of the explosion.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post