well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Escaramuzas (for WTF's horsey set)

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2123975797

15 September 2022, 05:24 PM
wtg
Escaramuzas (for WTF's horsey set)
quote:
Mexico's oldest sport is charrería.

"It's considered the national sport - everyone thinks it's soccer but it's charrería," said Vereniz Llamas.

The men who practice the equestrian sport are known as charros but perhaps more impressive are the women, who are called escaramuzas. It literally translates to skirmish in English.

Llamas, 32, lives in Beecher, Illinois and has been riding for 16 years.

"An escaramuza is a Mexican cowgirl that works in a synchronized team with eight other girls on side saddle doing dangerous crosses, fast turns and it's almost a dance on horses," said Llamas.

Video (might auto-start) and rest of story here:

https://abc7chicago.com/escara...ide-saddle/12205352/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 September 2022, 12:09 AM
Nina
That's so cool! I've only seen it once.

As an aside, I always found it odd that women were expected to ride sidesaddle as a member of the "weaker sex," when it's freaking HARD, and much more dangerous than riding astride.
22 September 2022, 10:07 AM
wtg
I may try to attend one of their performances if there's one nearby. Looked like lots of fun!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

22 September 2022, 10:16 AM
jodi
That is very cool! Sidesaddle is hard!

Smiler Jodi

22 September 2022, 11:42 AM
RealPlayer
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
As an aside, I always found it odd that women were expected to ride sidesaddle as a member of the "weaker sex," when it's freaking HARD, and much more dangerous than riding astride.

I wonder if the association of sidesaddle with women is akin to the old prohibition of women in trousers and riding bicycles.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

22 September 2022, 01:17 PM
piqué
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I wonder if the association of sidesaddle with women is akin to the old prohibition of women in trousers and riding bicycles.

That's what I've always surmised. But of course women have always had to deal with this--like Ginger Rogers--does it backwards and in heels.

fear is the thief of dreams