well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Discord?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discord?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Does anyone here use Discord?

I’m working on an event and the organizer has just declared that all of the planning and discussions will be on Discord.

I thought it was mostly for gamer geeks, misogynists, racists, and others like that.

I’m loathe to install an app and sign up for yet another thing when everything was working just fine by email.

The last event we did, the organizers decided we were using Slack. Slack sucks. I used it for planning that one event, then deleted my account and the app.

So… is Discord okay? Safe? Anything?

-pj the luddite

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm one step behind you. Never heard of Slack and haven't used Discord.

-wtg, luddite-in-training

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I signed up for Discord and used it a few times.... it's not great IMO, but I don't know that it's unsafe per se.

I don't like Slack either... I didn't think I'd like Teams, but it has some advantages... I am collaborating on a research project and we use that exclusively for messaging back and forth and also for sharing documents and other materials. It's better than email because I never have to hunt for a message from her.

Email has become a bucket of slop these days, I use Outlook for my work email and it's very hard to find an email, the key word search doesn't work, and the threading is not consistent.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I signed up for Discord and used it a few times.... it's not great IMO, but I don't know that it's unsafe per se.

I don't like Slack either... I didn't think I'd like Teams, but it has some advantages... I am collaborating on a research project and we use that exclusively for messaging back and forth and also for sharing documents and other materials. It's better than email because I never have to hunt for a message from her.

Email has become a bucket of slop these days, I use Outlook for my work email and it's very hard to find an email, the key word search doesn't work, and the threading is not consistent.

I force Outlook to unthread everything. I’d rather read email one at a time. I’ll read down the chain if I need to.

As for Discord, it’s been integral in the gamer community for more than a decade, particularly for MMOs, but I’ve never used it.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Super. What’s an MMO?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Massively multiplayer online.

Example: World of Warcraft is an MMORPG (the last three letter are role-playing game).

Please don’t ask me what World of Warcraft is. Blizzard would cry.

You’re going to ask me who Blizzard is, aren’t you?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Who is Blizzard?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Blizzard is the developer of the MMORPG World of Warcraft, along with other games.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I force Outlook to unthread everything.

That would be even worse for me than it is right now. I'm on these committees, and these people, I don't know what they do, just sit and email back and forth all day? Seriously, it's a nightmare!

Anyway, threading is imperfect, but for now anyway, I prefer it to being unthreaded.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Does anyone here use Discord?

I’m working on an event and the organizer has just declared that all of the planning and discussions will be on Discord.

I thought it was mostly for gamer geeks, misogynists, racists, and others like that.

I’m loathe to install an app and sign up for yet another thing when everything was working just fine by email.

The last event we did, the organizers decided we were using Slack. Slack sucks. I used it for planning that one event, then deleted my account and the app.

So… is Discord okay? Safe? Anything?

-pj the luddite

You are allowed to be Luddite but please don’t lump gamer geeks in the same category as the racists and misogynists!

I use Discord for gaming and board gaming. It’s way better than Slack (which I use for work). My kiddo uses it for work (though he admittedly works with a bunch of super geeks as they make custom sticks for collectible Transformers toys).

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Discord as a discussion base for a knit-along! Does that make me au courant?

I never really did get the hang of it; I was just along for the ride…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Yeah I use discord. See all the server icons I frequent in the left column. lol

Mostly for gaming/sim and special interest groups.

But also to keep in touch with some people and especially with my children when their phones get broken.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post