well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    West Texas Crude
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Texas Crude
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Price Collapses to under $10 per Barrel

Saudis pushing oil into Louisiana refineries as storage capacity in the US fills, and there is no demand. Some customers may demand to BE PAID to take more domestic oil in these conditions.

Consumers benefit from cheap oil, of course. But ...

this will wreak further havoc on many states' budgets and drive down wages in the oil patch across many states. That will further affect state budgets (not to mention household budgets). We'll also probably see a slowing of the conversion away from fossil fuels toward renewables.

This might be a great environment in which to levy an oil import tax of, say, $10 per barrel. No one would notice, since that would just push the domestic price up to what it was, oh, a couple of days ago, and much lower than it was a couple of months ago.

The Saudis are trying to put a nail in domestic output and bankrupt part of the sector so that it doesn't return when the economy improves. Not sure they'll succeed in achieving that goal, but that's their intent.

The US remains a large consumer, so the oil tariff would likely force a decrease in the world price of oil. That fall would partially offset our import tariff, i.e. US consumers would pay only part of the tariff, and foreign nations would pay the rest.

Conservative curmudgeon Charles Krauthammer usually reserved one column per year advocating just that. Here, I found one ...

Pump the Oil: Raise the Tax

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma will get hit hard. A lot of state revenue is related to the oil industry.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Texas crude now below $3 per barrel. Largest one-day drop in history.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Now trading in negative territory.

-$37.63 per barrel

Wars have been fought over less than this.

Better call in Jared.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This lady says "No big deal".

Is she correct?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, these are future delivery contracts. I suspect the number of producers who will actually sign a contract to deliver oil in May for a negative price is zero. The point is, no one is buying domestic oil for May delivery.

The spot price (today) for Brent Crude (North Sea) is still very positive. I think it's over $20, actually.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
https://www.politico.com/news/...ion-paralyzed-196473

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
This will hit my employer on all fronts--less money from a state that depends on oil, less money from investments that likely count on oil, less money from donors who made their fortunes in oil, less money from grants made by oil companies to professors in some of our biggest STEM departments like petroleum engineering and energy.

(Yeah, I have second thoughts about research on energy being paid for by oil companies, too, but you know it happens.)

There will be follow-on effects all the way down to the ability of students to pay tuition. Perhaps their parents' jobs depend on the oil industry. Perhaps they have a scholarship from their tribe, which depends on oil revenues.

I get the impression, too, that many people of apparently modest means whose families have been in Oklahoma for a long time draw monthly checks because they've inherited oil rights on family land. They might have trouble covering college tuition right now, too.

It's not going to be pretty.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just curious, did any one see this "negative oil futures" thing coming when states started imposing travel restrictions?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I suspect the number of producers who will actually sign a contract to deliver oil in May for a negative price is zero. The point is, no one is buying domestic oil for May delivery.

The question becomes how much someone is willing to pay to get the oil off of the boats rather then anchor them offshore for the foreseeable future.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about oil. Is there a problem with just leaving it in the ground?

Once you've started a well, do you have to keep it pumping? Or can you shut it down for a couple months or a year and be able to restart it?

I know gasoline has a short shelf life. Does crude oil? Can you store it for a long time? Indefinitely? I understand there's also the problem of it outgassing -- there was something in the news a while back about the volatile gasses in rail tank cars.

North Dakota and Alaska are also going to get hit hard, as well as one country whose economy and global influence was said to be predicated on oil remaining over $100 a barrel.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Crude oil is indeed storable. Above ground storage isn't free, however. The US government maintains a strategic petroleum reserve in the salt domes under Louisiana. It can contain over 700m barrels indefinitely.

Strategic Petroleum Reserve

I believe most wells can simply be capped for later. But that is not free. There are costs.

This turmoil is heck on Venezuela, Iran, and the Sovi... Russia. As well as N. Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Alaska, New Mexico ...

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Too much oil? Then get rid of that damn pipeline that NEVER should have been built through our mid section.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of the previously normal demand was jet fuel.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious, did any one see this "negative oil futures" thing coming when states started imposing travel restrictions?

It has to do with more than Covid-19. The Saudis and Russians were engaged in a price war, and the Saudis also wanted to knock US fracking output down by driving out higher cost rigs and discouraging future oil development on "risky" high-cost land.