well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where to see wild horses

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to see wild horses
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Most of the wild horses seen in North America today are said to be descendants of the domesticated herds brought by Spanish explorers in the 16th and 17th centuries. In addition to Assateague and Chincoteague islands, wild horses can be spotted along the east coast in North Carolina and Nova Scotia, Canada; and in the west in Nevada, South Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming. With their powerful legs, and wind-swept manes, they remain a mysterious blend of intrigue and beauty.

https://travelcurator.com/dest...s-in-the-usa-canada/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There are places in Colorado west of Grand Junction where people can see wild horses.
4 wheel drive is recommended.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've seen them on Assateague. Might have seen a couple in New Mexico the other day.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I've seen them on Assateague. Might have seen a couple in New Mexico the other day.

Where are you in NM?

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We have wild horses alarmingly close to Missoula. Friends who have domesticated horses on their properties have to pay attention that their mares don't get spirited away.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Where are you in NM?

In Henderson NV. We moved our daughter here from Winston Salem. I got to be the moving truck driver. Between Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada it was like a survey of American deserts. Fantastic natural beauty, but thank God for audiobooks.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

In Henderson NV.

Did you bring an umbrella?

Seriously, be careful. Places like NV aren't set up for rain....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my son in LV texted that they were expecting a freakin' tropical storm! Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It'll only be 2-4" over a couple days here. But we were out at Red Rock Canyon yesterday (gorgeous) and saw some flash flooding up close from a storm a bit away from us. Nothing dangerous, but with more water it surely would be.

The Vegas strip though - I haven't been here since 1976. It's like Times Square times 1000. Grotesque, like in a sci-fi dystopia. I want nothing to do with it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the signs in the conservation area made it clear feeding the wild horses and burros was a big fine. We didn't see any, but still... they're there.